macbook pro for photoshop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EXShouoken, Oct 11, 2014.

1. EXShouoken macrumors newbie

I want to buy a laptop for photoshop and I decided I want to buy a macbook with retina display. I only plan on using this laptop for photoshop drawing. Would the lowest price priced macbook pro with retina be good enough for basic photoshop drawing or should I save up more and get the better version?

2. flyshop macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro

It should be fine. I had a MacBook Air with 4GB Ram and it handled Photoshop very well. The least expensive MacBook Pro Retina comes with 8 GB so thats a plus. I would be concerned with only 128 GB Flash Drive however.

3. EXShouoken thread starter macrumors newbie

But can always just get a external for more drive space right?

4. styymy macrumors member

Extra storage space.

Correct, you can simply use and external/portable hard drive if you need extra storage space.

5. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

There are some high capacity Sd cards that can be inserted and left in a MBP as extra storage space.

6. teahouse, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

teahouse macrumors newbie

Should be all right

I m on a late 2008 macbook pro with a crucial ssd and 8gb ram. Photoshop runs like a breeze up to 8000 x 4000 px and about 500mb per file. (In some cases i went up to 2gb per file and wondered why background saving took so long without any other performance issues.)

Actually ps runs faster than on the non ssd mac pros at work.
    Ps CC 2014 does help a lot, the improved graphics tablet engine feels awesome and background saving is great for large files. Just make sure you get the max ram, that is usually the bottleneck for photoshop.

I don t sketch a lot on the way too small macbook screen, but on an external monitor. Therefore the retina screen is kind of obsolete for me and the small ssd would be a bummer. Especially as Photoshop eats easily 50gb scratch disk space.

A 8gb ram 256gb ssd Air might be a better choice as its way cheaper? Not sure though...
    Hence I am personally waiting for the new macbook line in 2015 for the more fashionable looks. :)

7. EXShouoken thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I wanted a laptop for drawing mainly cuz I cant really fit another monitor in my room. I have a tv and my gaming monitor setup in there and that gaming monitor has pretty crappy color. So a laptop with a good display is what I was looking for.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Retina MacBook Pro for the display, definitely.

With regards to PCI-e storage on the rMBP/MBA line, the Flash chips work in parallel -- basically the higher the storage, the quicker read/write speeds. If you're looking to store all of your work on your Mac then you'll see the benefit with this performance. So there's a second advantage to the larger storage options, rather than just more hard-drive space available.

8GB RAM/dual core i5 should more than suffice if you're just using PS. The rMBP is a highly able machine and will meet your demands without any complaints.

9. styymy macrumors member

PNY SD Card

Yes, I am using the PNY 64gb sd card myself.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It would be more than fine. Photoshop isn't a demanding program. I used it on my Air daily (I'd sneak my air into work and hook it up to one of my work monitors.)