Macbook Pro for Professional Photographer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by l0nd0n, Jul 8, 2012.

1. l0nd0n macrumors newbie

Hope someone can help shed some light... just a bit confused.

Have to buy tomorrow (Monday) so fast answers much appreciated.

My question is mainly regarding connectivity and bus speed. I'm needing a new laptop for travel, shooting on location/studio and working from home.

My workflow is shooting tethered with either a Phase one p30+ via firewire 400/800 or a Canon 5dII via usb. Cameras are never tethered at the same time. I'm shooting into Capture Ono Pro and also running multiple processer hungry apps at the same time such as PS 5 as a norm.

I also connect to an external monitor via DVI (eizo 27" flexscan). A two external monitor option would be ideal. That in addition to an external drive for backup (firewire). Additionally I also run a QNAP server from the studio connected via ethernet which I would like the option to connect to if needed from time to time.

With the two new model options I'm a bit thrown by the new thunderbolt and what seems like limited connectivity with the new rMBP. Having the 800 and ethernet port seems like a better option. Also I know that having the thunderbolt but not running thunderbolt devices won't give you an increase in speed but is the bus speed still the same in the two models?

I guess my question is will I be kicking myself in a year if I go for the non retina option body and can I get a multiple connector option for a single thunderbolt port? Screen option for the non retina would be hi-res anti glare, not really fussed at this point about the retina, more then likely as I've not seem the benefit and also use external displays for my editing.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg M macrumors 6502

At this moment you have to go with the regular MBP because you can't use firewire with the retina. An adapter is promised sometime this month but that doesn't mean that we'll see it when promised.

3. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Yep at the moment there is no adapter but Apple have published the product which means it will be produced. If it is promised this month then it will be out this month. Apple if anything are pretty good with committing their release dates. If they didn't introduce the adapter when they released the MBPr then I would say you best go with the older model. If you can tolerate and change the way you transfer your media using USB 3.0 or something then probably better you invest in the newest model. If not keep what you have and wait for that adapter. What are you currently using? If there is no huge advantage to buying the older MBP (non Retina) then just be more patient. Phase One huh? pimp!

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Buy the Retina. You will be kicking yourself later if you don't.

The biggest advantage to you as a photographer is that it is smaller, and lighter. You carry a lot of gear, and the smaller the better.

The FW 800 adapter will be out in a month, and at this point it is a 3-4 week wait for the Retina MBP anyway so its not like you will be without for long.

Besides, USB is plenty fast for Tethered shooting unless you are firing off frames like a maniac... and if you are tethering is kind of silly anyway. The point of tethering is to review your shots as they come up, and shooting at a rapid FPS kind of defeats the point.

5. l0nd0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Still undecided as I have a travel job this week which I'd like to have new commuter for but not keen to throw £2k on something that's not right.

I've had a look and an option for an alternative connection doesn't seem to be an available for me. I would need a FW400 to USB3 or to Thunderbolt for tethered shooting, no questions about it. I'm not dealing with simple pretty portraits or landscapes, I'm dealing with expecting and demanding advertising clients.

I'm not one that needs the latest kit (reason I'm still on the p30+ and not the latest back). Nor do I get excited about buying it as both cameras and computers are just tools to me. Boring I know but there isn't a game installed on any of my computers, just on the iPhone.

Been hacking it out for location on a 2007 Santa Rosa 15" which has seen 4 batteries, 2 top cases 2 motherboards and 3 hard drives in it's life. Case is still near perfect condition so it's just been it wearing it's self out from use. Transfer speed and processing speed are the only reason I'm looking to upgrade it. A 2011 mac pro tower is my main work horse.

Any other suggestions...
    Thanks again

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

If you need it next week... well the Retina isn't really an option at all. They are 3-4 week back order. So the connections don't matter, because you can't have it next week anyway unless you get lucky finding it in a store.

7. v654321 macrumors member

Since you have a machine and you have an urgent job the next week, I'd order the Retina online because by the time it arrives, you're a few weeks further down the line. Maybe by then there are also the necessary adapters you may need.

Use your current machine for the urgent job while you wait for the other to arrive.