MacBook Pro for running Logic?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Crugga, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Crugga macrumors regular

Right about 2 months ago my 2010 Macbook pro died due to motherboard failure, ive been making do with a cheap laptop but now want a new one.
    I want to run Logic + I have a fair few more pluggins(all legal). As well as running typical office apps, internet, uttorrent, imessage etc however I dont want to be shutting apps all the time.

I guess what i'm wondering is would people go for a 13"/512gb/16gb or a 15"/256gb/8gb?

Storage space and screen size is not a major issue for me but its more the extra ram vs quad core thing im curious about.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd say the 15" MBP. When it comes to recording LP 9 was more CPU-heavy than RAM-heavy when it came to plugins. The quad-core CPUs in the 15" rMBPs are exclusively designed for Apple and you won't see them in any other OEM laptop -- the performance is just under a desktop i7.

Obviously the more RAM the better for recording, but in terms of latency and plugins you'll see more benefit with a quad-core CPU than a dual-core. After all, if you run out of RAM, it'll write to the hard-drive. If you run out of CPU resources, the program will hiccup.

3. Crugga thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that.
    After thinking about it I may just try and pull in a bit more money from somewhere and get the 512/16gb.
    I know they are not really user upgradeable so its probably better to be skint for a month and get the better machine now.

4. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

This is the way I went and I haven't been disappointed. It's a tough decision to make because once you have the version with more cores and more RAM you'll never experience the version with less. You won't get a lot of opportunities to pat yourself on the back, but trust me, you should.

You're not going to have 100 Flash-running tabs open in Safari at the same time you are recording in Logic, nor are you going to be post-processing an HD movie in the background at the same time, but Logic does run smooth as butter with all of my Launchbar, iTerm, Evernote, etc. "always-on" apps running. Rewire, lots of plug-ins....no problem.

Compared to my previous MBP with 4gb of RAM, it's spectacular.

5. Crugga thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah thanks for that.

I just thought about it, i'm on it 12 hours a day 5 days a week so whether for work or music why not own the best I can?.
    And actually the faster the machine the more work I get done(as in work that pays the rent).

6. Crugga thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered.
    Relatively reputable Ebay seller.
    Early 2013 15"retina 2.7 quadcore/512gb flashdrive/16gb ram. £1479.
    Seller was surprisingly game for a bit of haggling via best offers.

For a bit earlier I did consider getting a Mac Mini and going the route of maxing that out with ssd and ram, getting monitor, trackpad, keyboard etc and it came surprising near in price.

Gasping.