Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkryno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a new MacBook Pro for the first time.
and I really don't know which one to choose. i'd like you guys to help me please.
Excuse me, but I dnot understand anything about it.

My budget is: 1,500$ between 2,000$

My computer uses are:
General Uses
Studies
Photoshop

Right now, I'm deliberating between two options:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1293727-REG/apple_mlh42ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

or from Apple this one:

Touch Bar and Touch ID
3.1GHz Processor
256GB Storage

• 3.1GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage1
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
wich one you recommend?

applebro

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Hello everyone,

I want to buy a new MacBook Pro for the first time.
and I really don't know which one to choose. i'd like you guys to help me please.
Excuse me, but I dnot understand anything about it.

My budget is: 1,500$ between 2,000$

My computer uses are:
General Uses
Studies
Photoshop

Right now, I'm deliberating between two options:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1293727-REG/apple_mlh42ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_with.html

or from Apple this one:

Touch Bar and Touch ID
3.1GHz Processor
256GB Storage

• 3.1GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 256GB SSD storage1
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
wich one you recommend?

I'd get the one from BH.

1. It has more RAM
2. It has more storage (my 2012 has 256GB and i'm constantly having to delete things to make room for whatever I need
3. No taxes in most states with BH

be sure to get AppleCare

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Without a doubt……go for the one from BHPhoto.

It has the other one beat completely as far as specs. are concerned.

Quad Core i7 Processor versus Dual Core i5
16 GB RAM versus 8 GB RAM
512 GB SSD versus 256 GB SSD
Discrete Graphics with 2 GB Video Ram versus Integrated Graphics
15.4” Screen versus 13” Screen

If you want a happier computing experience buy as much as you can afford; and, as @applebro stated, make sure you buy AppleCare.

If you cannot afford to purchase AppleCare at this point you have up to a year to purchase the standard AppleCare, but only 60 days to purchase the AppleCare+ (plus) plan. The AppleCare+ plan includes accidental damage caused by you, along with a service fee.

AppleCare Info, here:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/mac.html

AppleCare+ Info, here:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S6124LL/A/applecare-plus-for-macbook-macbook-air

darkryno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Without a doubt……go for the one from BHPhoto.

It has the other one beat completely as far as specs. are concerned.

Quad Core i7 Processor versus Dual Core i5
16 GB RAM versus 8 GB RAM
512 GB SSD versus 256 GB SSD
Discrete Graphics with 2 GB Video Ram versus Integrated Graphics
15.4” Screen versus 13” Screen

If you want a happier computing experience buy as much as you can afford; and, as @applebro stated, make sure you buy AppleCare.

If you cannot afford to purchase AppleCare at this point you have up to a year to purchase the standard AppleCare, but only 60 days to purchase the AppleCare+ (plus) plan. The AppleCare+ plan includes accidental damage caused by you, along with a service fee.

AppleCare Info, here:

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/mac.html

AppleCare+ Info, here:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S6124LL/A/applecare-plus-for-macbook-macbook-air
Thank you very much guys. But the problem with buying AppleCare is that I am not living in USA.
My friend is going for Vacation in USA so he is buying the computer for me. In my country there is no apple store.
So what you guys suggest?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thank you very much guys. But the problem with buying AppleCare is that I am not living in USA.
My friend is going for Vacation in USA so he is buying the computer for me. In my country there is no apple store.
So what you guys suggest?
I think what everyone is suggesting is
1) Get the BH one
2) When he gets the box, take it to the Apple Store and immediately get AppleCare.

darkryno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
I think what everyone is suggesting is
1) Get the BH one
2) When he gets the box, take it to the Apple Store and immediately get AppleCare.
But there is no Apple store in my country. i can ask my friend to go to Apple store in USA but the question is if you still recommend to get AppleCare even if there is no Apple store in my country?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
But there is no Apple store in my country. i can ask my friend to go to Apple store in USA but the question is if you still recommend to get AppleCare even if there is no Apple store in my country?

Is there some sort of Apple support network in your country like authorized resellers? If so, call them up and see if they will honor AppleCare and how they would handle warranty support for a machine bought in the US.

Also, do you have any issues with it having a US keyboard?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Might be worth waiting for WWDC - we're potentially 6-7 weeks away from 2018 MacBook Pros. The 15" model looks a good deal but the 2016 models have been available for super-cheap prices for months now. They do have well known issues with the keyboards.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
B&H is a great place to get a Mac

I purchased my 2014 i7 Quad Core 750m Nvidia there and it’s worked perfectly fine these past few years

If AppleCare is easily obtainable for you then I would say yeah go for it

I would definetely consider it if you were to purchase a refurbished model

Stygma

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
I purchased my applecare+ straight from Apple on the internet, I did not have to take it into the store. Not sure if that is available to you or not.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
It is still worth getting AppleCare even if there is no Apple presence in your country right now. Two reasons: 1) Apple might come to your country in the form of authorized resellers. 2) Even if they don't and you r laptop breaks down in the interim, you or your friend can get it repaired in the US the next time you go there.

Don't take a chance with these laptops.
Apple's reliability track record has taken a beating off late.
Everything is soldered on this laptop (meaning you cannot replace failed disk or RAM yourself) AND the keyboard might fail on you (search this forum).

darkryno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
It is still worth getting AppleCare even if there is no Apple presence in your country right now. Two reasons: 1) Apple might come to your country in the form of authorized resellers. 2) Even if they don't and you r laptop breaks down in the interim, you or your friend can get it repaired in the US the next time you go there.

Don't take a chance with these laptops.
Apple's reliability track record has taken a beating off late.
Everything is soldered on this laptop (meaning you cannot replace failed disk or RAM yourself) AND the keyboard might fail on you (search this forum).
Thank you very much for helping guys. Bottom line Do you recommend the model of the above computer?

darkryno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
I just got MBP 2017, and as I know the charger of USA is different than the one in Europe and Israel.
My question is, if to use the original charger with an adapter will damage my macbook or it should be ok?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.