MacBook Pro for uni: HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spadoinkles, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Hey guys.
    Some of you might remember my last post when I nearly jumped on new 27" iMac. After much consideration taking in opinions from many intelligent figures, I concluded it may make sense to go for a macbook pro instead and hold off on the iMac.
    I'm on a limited budget, and looking (70% ish) on travelling abroad either this or next year for tertiary study, and at the very least, will be moving around A LOT even if I decide to complete it in my hometown instead. Hence I've done away with my possible future 27" iMac + MBA setup as the 27" is still impossible to carry round given the really cheap business class tickets I get for travel (10kg individual piece allowance and 27" iMac would struggle to fit in dimension restrictions...)

I've been chatting up many people recently and come through with some suggestions. Please don't recommend me to go find a job or rob a bank to get a little bit more of this and that, unless they genuinely affect me.

15" MBP, 2.2GHz. 6750M is really borderline with the large amounts of photography, videography and film work I do, plus some programming and all. + Multitasking my student and social life, I'd prefer a 6970M of the iMac (or much better, a REAL desktop GPU but this is something I've sort of given up on :( ), Hi-Res Matte display (seems much better when I'm working outdoors). 500GB 7200rpm HDD. With this, I intend on going towards a SSD later down the road as my track record with HDD life spans is BLEAK. Never seen a 2.5" last more than 24-30 months with the amount of crap I put it through.

15" MBP, 2.2GHz. 2.3 at another $350ish is really asking for it. 6750M.
    128GB SSD for Mac OS, and a 45MB/s 32GB SD card for Windows 7 (I lolled when I first thought of it too) to boot Windows. Heck these SDs are just as quick as my current Mac's HDD (Novabench's speed anyway). With this I obviously give up heaps of space, need to carry an external around all the time and risk the SD, which I still think is stupid. but then, my needs on windows are much lesser.

Rip out the Superdrive!
    15" MBP, 2.2GHz. 6750M.
    Chuck the superdrive out, 128GB SSD + a 750gig, 7200rpm drive. Will probably get an external DVD writer (or hook it up to a SATA-USB enclosure) if I see need for it.

Wait out the Sandy Bridge MBA, save a little money getting one, and get a desktop ASAP. I'm looking at a desktop anyway once I do settle down at uni, obviously with pretty demanding work.

I have tried to investigate SSD vs 7200rpm drives. Concluded 5400s are trash. As for SSDs emotions are really mixed - Honestly, IDGAF about saving 20s in boot times or 3.4328490% in app loading times. I understand SSDs have quicker random access response and similar sustained read/write times.

Going for the $140 128gig SSD will really put heaps of pressure on me to weed out the crap. If the sacrifice of going 500gig 7200rpm isn't big, hell I'd jump for it. Main put-off for the 128gig right now is once apps and OS are on there, no room even for a roll of tape to fit (Meaning I'll have to import part of a roll's footage, then edit and compress it, then import the rest and blaaddyblaah). Dual HDD option is risky (something unsettles me :p) and going SD card seems somewhat retarded. "Hey, guess what, I run Windows on an SD card on my Mac because I can't afford more hard drive space."

Suggestions? Honest opinions?

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no real need to boot every day, unless one has to switch to Windows via Boot Camp often.
    An SSD will just make many beachball situations go away, I upgraded my 2009 MBP with an SSD last year and it feels like a new computer.

To the issue with footage, one often just uses an external HDD, as an HDD is quite fast to read and write properly encoded video footage.

3. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

My personal solution to similar needs (lots of travel, lots of video editing): a MacPro for the video part, and a MacAir 13 ultimate for the travel part. The air is GREAT, best computer I ever had! Editing of smaller sections of the movies I make can be done on the MacAir, but anything related to Motion or Compressor has to be done on the MacPro.

4. Spadoinkles thread starter macrumors regular

Well of course I'm not gonna boot everyday. My current boots been running for 42 days as a matter of fact.

Looking at the 128 SSD now. Not like the 500 will save me from externals because I shoot a good 10gigs a day when I'm out at events. Importing rolls of tape is even worse. I'm just concerned once I've installed OSX + apps, partitioned for windows and possibly linux.. hmmph.

@jjhoekstra I dream of it all the time.. perhaps you're my lucky sponsor who'll pay for all my mac cravings? >:)

5. SPBMacintosh macrumors newbie

For alll of my apps and a 40gb bootcamp partition, i've used 90gb, so long as you keep on top of it you'll be fine [​IMG] everything else i have is on the external and maybe once a month or so i just have to delete render files that appear on my hdd

6. saltspringer macrumors newbie

So I understand. A friend who does a lot of video editing bought an MBP - it had the speed for it, but if you do a lot of it the things get pretty hot; he's on his third motherboard.

This may go away in time as laptops get ever faster and use fewer watts, but for the moment, if you're going to be doing a lot of video editing, you still need a desktop.

7. Spadoinkles thread starter macrumors regular

Going through three motherboards... covered by warranty right?
    I guess I need to compromise for now because of the fact I'm traveling and see myself going overseas for tertiary. But no doubt I'll probably end up with a desktop within a year or two once I've settled down.. :)