MacBook Pro for use with Pro-Tools LE

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EHVio, May 13, 2010.

1. EHVio macrumors newbie

Planning on picking up a MacBook Pro this weekend. I have an appointment at the Apple store on Saturday evening. Interface-wise, I plan on starting with an MBox 2 Pro, but would like some upward mobility to move on to interfaces with more I/O's and sorts (I would ultimately like to be able to record 4-6 simultaneous tracks to make it viable for use with drum kits). Of course, I'll move on to a Mac Pro once my setup reaches a certain point, but what, of the current selection, should I be looking for processor-wise? Do I need to go i7 for this or will the 2.53GHz i5 do the trick?

I will use it for basic video editing from time to time, but nothing too fancy, so that's not a big concern of mine.

I'm leaning towards the 15" right now, just not sure of how to equip it.

Also don't know if this is taboo in here or not; if it is, please inform me. I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a nicely equipped PC notebook and throwing OSX on it. Is this asking for compatibility issues, considering my intended use? It's just seems like I might get a heck of a lot more POW! for my buck that way. Thoughts?

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I have been using a 1.6 on my mac mini for the last 3-4 years with protools 7.4 and an mbox 2, The machine only has 1gb of ram. Is less than ideal for recording audio, but it gets the job done, looking at doing some manual upgrades this year- new SDD, CPU, n RAM.. In short, yes you can go for the lower spec machine on the 15" but i would opt for the i7 if you can. Will get alot more juice for longer reverbs, n faster responses in terms of audio playback particularly when SSD fully enters the picture..

I'd also opt to keep it on the straight n narrow as far as OSX n PCs go.. i dont think its a taboo particularly, but its most definitely frowned upon in alot of apple/mac circles..

Also something to bear in mind is that currently protools works with some machines on OSX SL, but not all.. i.e its not supported, but might work if your lucky, i think it does on my old 2.4 mbp :) heh.. n double bummer its not under apples control, but digidesigns, n they are kinda slooooow!!

Hope that helps
    PTP

3. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

I'm running PTLE 8.x on my early 2008 2.4ghz (Penryn) MBP.
    4GB RAM, 320GB boot drive, 1TB Lacie external via onboard firewire 800 or eSata express card.
    Connected to my BLA modded Digi002.
    Running 24 tracks mix with plugs and no issues yet.

BTW - Running the latest Logic and FCP as well. Lots of fun.

4. EHVio thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Forgot to ask... Any rumors of Mac changing the processor lineup anytime soon or anything? Anything in the works worth waiting for?

5. mattnotis macrumors regular

The MBPs just updated a few weeks ago so there won't be a refresh for at least several months, I'd imagine. The iMacs and Mac Pros however will hopefully be updated sometime during the summer.