Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macronerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I am looking at purchasing my first macbook. I will be using it primarily for web design using Adobe CS3 and video editing. I am going to hook it up to a monitor most of the time. Here are my questions?

1) The purchase will be replacing my current desktop. I have always used a desktop for my web projects. Will the MBP be a better desktop replacement vs. the new imac?

2) For Adobe CS3 and some video editing, should I go with the 256mb video card, or will the 128mb be good enough? What about the hard drive speed?

Thanks!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
hard drive speed?

that part will prob. bug you. 5400 rmp drives seem to take forever to launch big apps like adobes.

Is there a way to get to the apple store to try and test launch apps on the new imac?

Also, 2 gigs would be the min. for doing heavy graphic suite work IMO.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
that part will prob. bug you. 5400 rmp drives seem to take forever to launch big apps like adobes.

Is there a way to get to the apple store to try and test launch apps on the new imac?

Also, 2 gigs would be the min. for doing heavy graphic suite work IMO.

They now come with 160 GB 7200 rpm BTO options.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
If you plan on not just working at one place forever, then a macbook pro would suite you well as it is portable.

wolf359design

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
Hello,

I am still using my 15" Powerbook 1.67 for web production including video / post production. I like the flexibility of being able to work anywhere including showing clients their work at their location.

However, at home I use my 24" Cinema Display and enjoy the real estate. It really helps when using Motion and After Effects. My render times are ( much ) longer as compare to a Mac Pro, of course.

But I will still probably buy a new Mac Book Pro for the portability factor but I am torn especially with the speed of the Mac Pro. Both are close in price too.

My advice... if you do not need the portability buy the Mac Pro. Both the Mac Book Pro and the the Mac Pro are close enough in price. The Mac Pro will save a ton of time when rendering and will last longer than the Mac Book Pro ( you can only upgrade it so much).

As for video editing...Go for the best video card and ram that you can afford or upgrade to later. You will need it with Motion 3 and the new Shake when ever that appears. Also 3D, as well as advance compositing is hot right now. You'll need at a min. a 256mb card for your work. Do not buy 128mb card. Even though that is what I am using right now I plan to upgrade when I buy my new mac.

Ed

macronerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Hello,

I am still using my 15" Powerbook 1.67 for web production including video / post production. I like the flexibility of being able to work anywhere including showing clients their work at their location.

However, at home I use my 24" Cinema Display and enjoy the real estate. It really helps when using Motion and After Effects. My render times are ( much ) longer as compare to a Mac Pro, of course.

But I will still probably buy a new Mac Book Pro for the portability factor but I am torn especially with the speed of the Mac Pro. Both are close in price too.

My advice... if you do not need the portability buy the Mac Pro. Both the Mac Book Pro and the the Mac Pro are close enough in price. The Mac Pro will save a ton of time when rendering and will last longer than the Mac Book Pro ( you can only upgrade it so much).

As for video editing...Go for the best video card and ram that you can afford or upgrade to later. You will need it with Motion 3 and the new Shake when ever that appears. Also 3D, as well as advance compositing is hot right now. You'll need at a min. a 256mb card for your work. Do not buy 128mb card. Even though that is what I am using right now I plan to upgrade when I buy my new mac.

Ed

I do prefer the portability of the macbook pro. I currently work out 3 offices and get tired of maintaining 3 different desktop environments and transferring files back and forth. I also would enjoy the freedom of bringing my desktop to my clients, friends, etc. As for video editing, I am not doing anything major. Simply home videos, occasional small presentations for clients.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
nice. did not know the macbooks had that option.

They don't, there is some confusion by the OP and you and me. In the thread title they state MBP where in the thread they state MB. I was refering to the MBP and you were refering to the MB.

Just to clarify

Macbook Pro 7200 drive yes
Macbook 7200 drive no (although you could probably add one third party)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.