Macbook Pro freeze problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cttc, Aug 7, 2010.

1. cttc macrumors newbie

Heya, im experiencing quite a bit of a problem with my macbook pro and i suspect that i might have something to do with my graphics card. My comp was bought last summer (2009 ;) ) and it's one of the ones with two graphics cards, one for higher performance, one for better battery life. Whenever i run the normal settings for battery life my laptop works completely fine, however, as soon as i switch to the higher perfomance card in energy saving setting my laptop starts freezing up. Sometimes a freeze takes a few mins and eventually u can use the comp again, but most of the time it will be a proper hard freeze and i wont be able to do anything but restarting my comp by holding the power button. Another thing i find very strange is that my laptop will run completely fine, in high performance settings, if im quick enough to start up a game (like world of warcraft, heroes of newerth..) before it freezes. Once i have a game running, ill be able to tab out and use the computer normally (although the screen does flash sometimes :S ) and it wont freeze again until i shut down the game.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Graphics:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Since i havent really been using it for much more than uni work before, its not until now ive come across this problem. Ive been googling my problem and the graphics card but i simply cant find anyone else with a similar problem.. Do i need to take my comp to the shops..?

Would appreciate all the help i can get!

2. cttc thread starter macrumors newbie

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. cttc thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it came installed with leopard, and i just havent bothered updatin to snow leopard

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Take it in for Apple to look at. If you bought it less than a year ago you are still under the one year warrantee. If you bought applecare for it you have plenty of time to bring it in. It shouldn't freeze on you. Get Apple to make it right.