Macbook pro freezes on me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allygrl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. allygrl macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a macbook pro, bought it May last year(2008). I don't know much about computers, but I loved the transition between pc and mac, had no trouble with it, loved to work with it, until now. I had noticed it became slower like 3 weeks ago, and a week ago, it started to freeze up on me followed by a message that said please restart your computer by pressing the power button and the screen becomes dark. When I try to restart it again, it takes a while because it shuts down again and again, until the 10th time it works. The store told me to clean intall, which I did yesterday, it seemed to have worked, it was faster for sure, but today it happened again, 3 times! Has this happened to anyone? Does somebody know what to do?

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Sounds like a kernel panic. Make a genius bar appointment.

3. darrenscerri macrumors regular

darrenscerri

Well, if you have done a clean install, it's not a software issue, unless you're installing something incompatible with your MBP for some reason. What kind of devices do you have plugged in your machine?

4. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Could be one of you RAM memory sticks that is dying...try replacing on or the other Or if your still under garentee "sugest" that they check out your RAM memory

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Really the only place to look. Remove one of your SO-DIMMs and use the computer. If it runs ok for a while (whatever is typical before the freeze), then pull that chip and put the other one in and repeat. If you get freezes with both, then try a third if you can find one. The odds that both are failing is pretty small, so if your Mac freezes with either by itself, you likely have a major hardware fault. And that would be a bummer.