MacBook Pro freezes unexpectedly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goreplz, Aug 4, 2010.

1. goreplz macrumors newbie

So I purchased a brand new 13" 2.4 ghz MacBook Pro from the Apple Store on Friday, July 23. Since then, it was working fine and great and perfect. No imperfections, everything going smoothly, quick boot and quick shut down. The whole nine yards.

But yesterday, I was using it and then I cut it off and the screen went black and all but the sleep light was still on. So I pressed the power button and nothing happened. Then I held down the power button and the sleep light went away. And then I pressed the power button and it booted up again. Then I cut off the computer and put it away.

I hooked it up to the power cord (it had about 60% battery to begin with) this evening when I cut it on, just the apple appeared on the screen. The loading circle made of dots didn't appear. You know, the one that usually appears on startup? It didn't show up. For about 5 minutes it did nothing. So I held the power button down and it cut off and then I cut it back on. Then the loading circle showed up but then it stopped spinning mid cycle. I waited about 5 minutes, then I held the power button down again to cut it off. Then I cut it on and it booted up and I was able to log in. Then I started playing a movie and about 5 minutes into the movie the screen stops and the sound starts jumping and repeating. Just a millisecond of the sound kept repeating like it was a broken record or something. And the computer was entirely nonresponsive. So I held the button down to cut it off again. This happened about 2 more times and then I gave up. The computer froze even when I wasn't trying to watch a film. I opened up finder and it froze.

Can you help me? I want to take it to the apple store this saturday and I am wondering what to expect? What should I do, do you know of a fix or something? And what do you think is wrong? And what do you think the genius will do to my computer?

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

If you take it to the Apple Store, I would assume that either a Genius or yourself will be able to replicate the boot up/freezing issue. If you got AppleCare already, your wallet will be safe from costly repairs, if need be.

3. goreplz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I took it into the Apple Store and they gave me a brand new one.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i was just wondering why he would be needing applecare for a laptop that is a week old? Isn't the service the same for the first year with or without applecare ... perhaps minus the phone tech support? this would be a thing to consider if or when to get AC at all.

5. wschutz macrumors 6502

The advice was wrong. The laptop is under AppleCare warranty for a year excluding the phone support which lasts 90 days since the date of purchase

6. goreplz thread starter macrumors newbie

7. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Similar issues and ditto, Apple just replaced my two week old MBP. Details here. Fingers crossed that the third time's the charm.