Macbook Pro Freezes - What could be the cause?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bone2k, Jun 5, 2011.

1. bone2k macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro (2007 model) is giving me trouble since a few weeks:
    It would freeze randomly when accessing folders and take up to 10 minutes to respond. Also finder would often crash.

I finally backed up, formatted the drive and reinstalled, however that did not solve anything.

Since the freezes are only occurring when accessing the hard drive I decided to replace it (even though S.M.A.R.T. status was fine).

So I put in a OCZ vertex with 120GB, reinstalled and first everything looked great. I could access everything without freezes (now with amazing SSD speed), but then after a few hours the problems started again.

Whats left to do? Any ideas are very welcome.

2. flgal macrumors newbie

Macbook freezes

My macbook is doing the same thing. They tell me I need a new screen to the tune of $300 plus a new trackpad for $80, and the computer isn't even two years old. Spending $1000 for a computer that dies in less then two years doesn't make sense. I am both very mad and very upset. This is not what I thought Apple was all about. I am now on an old Dell that is still going strong!

3. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

did you do a fresh install? or did you reinstall osx and then restore from time machine? Because if you restored from time machine you are just reinstalling the problem.

I would restore from time machine, from a time when you didn't have this problem. Or do a complete reinstall of the os and then just move stuff over manually.

See if that works. And if not. Get apple care and take it in.