Macbook pro freezes when moved!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tommhuy, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Tommhuy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

So bit of a weird problem with my 08 unibody mbp. When I move the laptop, 98% of the time it will freeze and I would need to press the power button to turn it off. It works perfectly fine when it's on the desk and sitting still but for example, if I take it off my desk and onto my lap, it will freeze, or say it is already on my lap and I move the tiniest bit, it will freeze.

Sometimes moving it will instead disable the airport and I can't turn it back on. I would need to shutdown to get it back.
    *note that a restart won't work, I have to shutdown and turn the computer back on for airport to work again.

I have tried a few things, fresh install, disabling the motion sensor, repairing permissions. I thought it was my hard drive acting up but I recently replaced it with an ssd and it still happens. I also thought it was loose ram but I have checked and made sure it fits correctly.

Obviously it's a bit annoying when I can't use my laptop as a portable! so any ideas on what the problem is ?

Thanks!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

try to disable the SMS and see if that helps it any
    Code:
    sudo pmset -a sms 0

3. Tommhuy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. qooberman macrumors newbie

qooberman

The most likely cause of this problem is poorly seated RAM modules.

The most likely cause of this problem is poorly seated RAM modules. Take the RAM back out of the MacBook and put it back in. Press very firmly and evenly across the entire length of the RAM chip. Make sure it's properly seated.

5. Tommhuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just opened it up, took the ram out and put it back in, made sure it was seated properly, still freezes I'm afraid.

Thanks for the suggestions, might need a trip to the apple store.

6. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

It seems a fault has develloped on your logic board.

to the :apple: store with ye

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Had the same problem... its not the logic board... i had mine swapped.. problem still there... its your HDD.... solutions? Get it swapped or get a new one.

8. Tommhuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I just swapped the HDD for a SSD and unfortunately it hasn't fixed it. I initially thought it was the HDD as well.

9. BeeAnt macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm having the same problem.
    Once I thought it freeze when I move it.
    but actually it is more likely to freeze when I put pressure like pressing on the middle of the bottom enclosure.

I suspect the problem is due to dried thermal paste? or HDD. but I'm not so sure yet as I have not do anything to check it.

I went to the Genius Bar once, but they seem to have no clue. They suspect the problem is in Logic Board.
    I'm not really sure about this, bcos I have to spend about 500 USD as my warranty is up.

Have you fixed this problem?

Thanks

10. Cloudbase macrumors newbie

Just wanted to resurect this thread. My Mac does the same exact thing. Freezes when moved and sometimes airport kicks off and requires a restart to get it back. Anyone find a solution to this yet? Genius bar had no solution.