MacBook Pro Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A4Silicon, Aug 28, 2013.

1. A4Silicon macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have a Early 2011 2.2Ghz 15-inch MacBook Pro with a 750GB HDD in an MCE Optibay, and a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD in my main HDD slot. Very frequently and recently my Mac us locked up to the point where my cursor moves but Pages, or any app has a beachball. I can attempt to reload pages in Chrome, but I get stuck at "waiting for cache." The only solution was to force restart and then try to recover lost work, but it happens very frequently now. I thought at first it may be the HDD (where my home folder is, my startup disk is the SSD) because of Google Chrome's "waiting for cache," so I ran AHT to find that my 16 GB (2x8GB) Patriot 1333mhz RAM got the 4MEM/9 error (oddly, remover didn't see any issues). I am in the process of RMA'ing it back to Patriot, and for the time being am running off of a Corsair 2x4GB set. Initially the crashes and freezes stopped, but after a couple hours they returned. I ran AHT on this RAM to find that no errors were detected. Any thoughts on the underlying cause of this issue?

2. revalationist macrumors member

Ahh, yes I think I might have had this problem before.

Does it, in bursts, just go really laggy, as in the cursor is really slow?

My problem was that for some reason, the kernel (OS) was taking up like 100% CPU from time to time. Reinstall fixed it

3. A4Silicon thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, cursor's fine, and kernel task is running at about 15% at most. Just when I try to do anything everything doesn't respond. I can reload a page in chrome, but it just gets stuck at "waiting for cache", and I can't force quit any app, and when I try to do so from the force quit menu, that starts not responding as well.

4. revalationist macrumors member

So when this freezing happens the most kernal has been at is 15%. Okay; so it's just kind of sluggish.

5. A4Silicon thread starter macrumors newbie

No the entire system seems to lock up. Apps will not respond to input (via keyboard or mouse) and nothing else works. Its almost like WindowServer and Dock are not responding (but I'm not certain if that's the case because activity monitor doesn't update information during this freeze.) The only way out is to force shutdown.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Perhaps a bad SSD?

7. DragonJade macrumors 6502

Sounds like a RAM problem to me, even though AHT comes back clean. How about testing the RAM in another machine, or trying the machine with one stick at a time (no good if both are faulty)?