MacBook Pro Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TribeFan1, Sep 25, 2014.

1. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Starting this morning when I use Safari and Chrome on my MacBook, the screen freezes. I am unable to click on anything, the dock does not magnify and if I try to force quit I have to use the keyboard only. The mouse moves but it will not accept any click at all. The only thing I have been able to do is shut down using the power button. Has anyone experienced something similar or maybe knows what is wrong?

I have AppleCare+ and it is a summer 2012 MacBook Pro, non retina display.

2. leman macrumors 604

Does this happen every time you open a browser or is this a singular occurrence?

3. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

It does not happen each time I open a browser, it seems to be random in occurrence. This is the first time it has done this multiple times together. Could it be hard drive related? For what it's worth I plan on taking it to the apple store this weekend

4. leman macrumors 604

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Does it do this with other apps also, or just Chrome and Safari?

That does kinda sound like a bad drive.

6. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

It's been happening with Word as well. When I shut the screen and open it back up and log in, it freezes up and the mouse won't click on anything and before the dock freezes it will magnify and stutter and drop back down.

I am working on running the apple hardware diagnostic

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... classic symptoms of a bad drive. Less common, but it could also be a bad drive cable.

8. TribeFan1 thread starter macrumors regular

TribeFan1

So far this morning and yesterday evening the computer has not acted up. It is still slow on startup, but that has been the usual so far. I will still take it to apple this weekend to be checked out, thats why I bought the warranty. Thanks for all of the help so far!