Macbook pro freezing after upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickoc, Oct 10, 2014.

1. mickoc macrumors newbie

Hi, I Just installed an electra ssd, new battery and upgraded to 8 gig RAM from 4. The problem I now have is that my mac becomes unresponsive very quickly.

I have to then force shut down by holding the main power button. The installation with the ssd was not very clean and took a while. My concern is that I have have done damage to the computer. I have tried everything but to no avail.

Has anyone ever had issues were the mac becomes unresponsive and they have fixed permanently. Its a mid 2009 mac book pro. Thanks in advance.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Put the original HDD back in, does it then become normal performance again?

3. mickoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Simon, I booted of the original HD in an external enclosure and everything seemed to be working fine (a lot slower) but the cursor became unresponsive again and I had to force shut off.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ok so it isn't caused by booting off the SSD, but you should still remove it to make sure it isn't the SSD causing the controller to hang.

Sorry but to prove whether it is the SSD you should remove it and replace the HDD and see if the issue still occurs.

5. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

you then need to try the original memory, then the original battery. Then you can determine if any of these are causing your problems.

6. mickoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your replies. I did as mentioned tried old battery worked fine. Placed in old ram and Bam. The new 8 gig Ram seems to be the issue. I downloaded an app called Mem Test and the computer froze mid test. No such problems when I tested with the old Ram.