MacBook Pro Freezing Constantly...Any troubleshooting tips?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Black Magic, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Hey all, I have MacBook Pro (Late 2011) that started hard freezing on me lately and wanted to see if you could give me some ideas on how to troubleshoot it. Good news, I do have AppleCare+ so I will be utilizing that soon if it's not a quick fix.

Details on the issue are:

I have an external monitor plugged in to the MacBook via HDMI dongle and I use mirroring for the display. After several hours of sitting idle, the MacBook will hard freeze giving out a loud clicking sound and displaying garbled mess on the screen. Power cycling does the trick and everything is fine. The problem just started happening recently with the only changes made recently were:

1. Using an HDMI dongle now versus the VGA dongle. Will switch back today and see what happens.

2. Upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB.

3. Just did a clean install of Mavericks. The issue was occurring before and after the clean install.

I have also altered the Energy Saver settings to see if that was an issue by setting it to never when running on power adapter. That didn't change anything.

Anyways, are there any logs or hardware diagnostic tools that can be run to help me troubleshoot this issue? Any tips or advice you vets can share? Thanks in advance!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Are you using a HDD or SSD? Chances are that your HDD may be on its last legs.

3. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

SATA HD. Is there a diagnostic tool to run and check?

4. young88a macrumors newbie

Almost sure its ur HDD, clicking noises? Backup as soon as possible, and buy a new HDD or SSD. Very easy to replace.

5. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Ok. I'm gonna run this diagnostic test Apple Diagnostics to see if it tells me anything. From there I'll grab a new drive from Bestbuy or order online. Thanks for the input.

6. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Ok so it looks like it maybe related to the HDMI dongle. I been using my VGA dongle and the issue went away up to this point. Fingers crossed.

7. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Took it to Apple and they are replacing the logic board. I'll be without my MacBook for a few days but I'm happy I invested in AppleCare+ when I bought it. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Looks like Radeongate hit your MBP.

9. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Na. It has an Intel HD 3000 video card or something like that.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Oh wait, it's a 13". Yeah you're correct. I automatically assumed it was a 15" because I saw it as a 2011 model, in which the 15" and 17" ones were hit by Radeongate.