MacBook pro freezing due to airport card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asma123, Sep 28, 2012.

1. asma123 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I have a early 2009 MacBook pro that is driving me crazy.
    To begin with, there were 2 problems with this machine:
    1: The fans will only work at 2000RPM and would get hot and freeze
    2: The wifi will drop sometimes and sometimes be able to reconnect but most times it just freezes.

I resolved the issue #1 by opening up the machine and taking out the heatsink and reapplying new thermal paste as well as doing a slight reflow of the cpu/gpu chips.

However, issue #2 persists.
    Basically the computer works great as long as I'm not connected to wifi. I'm currently using my iphone to tether internet.
    When it is connected to wifi, it will connect and work fine for a bit but eventually, either the wifi will drop and try to reconnect and it will freeze or it will just freeze altogether.

I've already replaced the wifi card with another one. However, I was not able to verify this was a good wifi card as I took it out of a friend's broken macbook pro. Very unlikely that it would have the same issue that many macbook pro users have complained about. His machine was a 15" were-as this machine is the 17"

Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking the cable that connects to the airport card+logic board but it just doesn't seem logical to me as it is working. I'm able to see wifi and able to connect to other networks no problem. It just freezes eventually.

I did some research and many people mentioned that they started experiencing these problems when they updated from 10.5.6.

I'm currently running mountain lion 10.8.2. the macbook pro is a 17" 2.66ghz core 2 duo 4gb ddr3 ram. and the installation is fresh.

2. nagasakti macrumors newbie

Mountain Lion wifi error

Hi, i am currently facing similar problem like you. I have a MacBook Pro Late 2009 running latest built of Mountain Lion. Everything works perfect until yesterday the MBP freeze and system clock is set to date before Jan 1st 2008.
    My wifi is giving me an error: Wifi No Hardware Installed.
    Anyone have solution for this issue?
    p/s tried with SMC reset but no luck.

3. cruthirds macrumors newbie

Same problem

I know this is an old post but I'm having the same problem. asma123 it would be great if you could fill me in with the outcome.