MacBook Pro freezing, rainbow wheel and manually have to shut down computer! Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eos1789, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Eos1789 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Firstly let me start by saying I do not have very much luck with technology. About two weeks ago, my 3-yo 17" MacBook Pro started showing blue pixels where the blacks are normally meant to be. I found this extremely weird and even did a black test with Photoshop where I painted the paint board black and it was blue. I freaked out but a few days later it was gone and colours were back to normal (or so I thought!)
    I don't know if the blue screen thing is related to the current problem, but maybe someone out there knows. About a week ago now, I switched in the laptop, was able to login, but once it was logged in no applications would respond, everything would freeze, even Finder, and I just had the rainbow wheel of death! Force quit wouldn't even work! The only way was to hold down the power button until computer shut off (which can't be good!). I tried rebooting the computer a few times and would have to turn it off manually holding the power button down. I left the computer for a few days and then yesterday at uni my laptop worked fine! Was using photoshop, illustrator and the internet without any hiccups.
    Now today have tried again and the freezing issue is happening again. Has it got something to do with my house?! I don't understand, and being a student that needs my computer I am flipping out big time!

The scariest thing is the problem seems to appear randomly. I don't know what the normal life span of a computer is these days but i would expect it to be longer than 3 years!

Anyway, any help would be muchly appreciated!

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I have asked the mods to move your thread into the MacBOOK Pro forum as this is the Mac Pro desktop forum.