MacBook Pro Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickvanr, Nov 25, 2010.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I have the 2.4 SR MacBook.

I've been having some weird issues the last couple days, and I'm hoping it's not the graphics card taking a crap.

So basically it locks up, and then after about a minute, the screen will flash on and off. A couple times it did that with the screen going green and once the screen got all weird. Not garbled lines, but big chunks of the screen would move to other areas. That makes me think it's a graphics issue, but I'm not sure if it's hardware or software. I've had mail, safari, itunes, and skype open every time it's happened. I don't know if it's one of those programs causing it, but there has probably been flash open in one of the safari tabs each time.

Just looking for ideas, or if I should just call Apple and see if they've extended the extension they put on fixing the SR MBP's GPU units

Thanks

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Hate to say it but that sounds like a dying GFX chip, have you tried taking the machine into an AppleStore for diagnosing?

I heard if those Logicboard fail due to it's graphics chip, Apple will replace the logic board or something; there's a thread about it here, somewhere.

3. rickvanr, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Yeah, had to happen after the 3 year warranty... just had to.. Closest Apple store is an hour away, I'll have to call Apple Care and see what they say. I can't reproduce the problem, and it's sporadic, so I don't know what they're going to say...

Edit: just got off the phone with Apple, they've extended it to four years.

Do they repair, or just replace? I had my G5 replaced with a Mac Pro. Would love the same treatment.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

repair if you havn't had a lot of different issues.