Macbook Pro Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tclare, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Tclare macrumors regular

Hey,

I have a C2D 2.26 GHz 13 inch Macbook Pro running 10.8.2. I installed 8GB of RAM and a SSD about a year ago. The machine itself is about 3 years old. In the last couple of days my machine has started freeze about once every hour. Each time it does this I have to force shut down the computer and restart it to resolve the issue. I thought the issue was a software one and so last night I reinstalled 10.8.2. However, this morning the problem is still occuring. The freezing is not application specific. Does anybody know what the issue could be and if there is anyway I could resolve it without taking it into the store?

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

2. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

3. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

Hi I was wondering when did you install Mountain Lion?

4. Tclare thread starter macrumors regular

When it came out. I'll try performing a Hardware Test. The RAM is still registering as being in place on 'About This Mac.' Could it be a HD issue? Does spinning wheel not usually refer to that?

5. dboy4ever macrumors newbie

Hey I know it's kinda late... but I think I know what the problem is.

Is your SSD made by Crucial? It sounds like the SSD firmware needs to be updated. The freeze happens due to a bug in the original firmware, which would be triggered when the usage counter hits 5200 hours.

I downloaded the firmware update from Crucial website, converted the iso file to a dmg file, burned it to a CD, and booted from the CD. Then the update utility took care of the rest. Hope this works!

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have a Kingston V200 (I guess) that I installed in and Atom netbook and it has a similar behavior. I would take a look in the SSD... check if it has built-in garbage collection or you'll have to enable TRIM in OSX.