Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tclare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Hey,

I have a C2D 2.26 GHz 13 inch Macbook Pro running 10.8.2. I installed 8GB of RAM and a SSD about a year ago. The machine itself is about 3 years old. In the last couple of days my machine has started freeze about once every hour. Each time it does this I have to force shut down the computer and restart it to resolve the issue. I thought the issue was a software one and so last night I reinstalled 10.8.2. However, this morning the problem is still occuring. The freezing is not application specific. Does anybody know what the issue could be and if there is anyway I could resolve it without taking it into the store?

Many Thanks,

Thomas.

Tclare

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
When it came out. I'll try performing a Hardware Test. The RAM is still registering as being in place on 'About This Mac.' Could it be a HD issue? Does spinning wheel not usually refer to that?

dboy4ever

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2014
Hey I know it's kinda late... but I think I know what the problem is.

Is your SSD made by Crucial? It sounds like the SSD firmware needs to be updated. The freeze happens due to a bug in the original firmware, which would be triggered when the usage counter hits 5200 hours.

I downloaded the firmware update from Crucial website, converted the iso file to a dmg file, burned it to a CD, and booted from the CD. Then the update utility took care of the rest. Hope this works!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I have a Kingston V200 (I guess) that I installed in and Atom netbook and it has a similar behavior. I would take a look in the SSD... check if it has built-in garbage collection or you'll have to enable TRIM in OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.