MacBook pro from the US?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrFusion, Oct 17, 2009.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have a Macbook from work which I have to turn in first half of next year, but maybe I can buy it if my boss allows it.
    The dvd drive of the Macbook is however broken. Part of the casing is missing and since recently half the keyboard doesn't work anymore (or not always). I have doubts about it's survival chances, while I definitely need a portable for work. Since my contract is close to ending, I will not get a new one from work as I am the only mac user.
    I also have a 1 year old iMac at home.

Next month I will visit the US. I can buy a Macbook 13" (base model) with a 200 to 300 euro discount (thanks to the exchange rate, low US tax rate and maybe some luck at customs when going home).
    The next possible visit to the US would be summer next year, if there will be a visit.

The current model is halfway through the cycle. I usually buy after an upgrade or with the back to school discount. But it is unlikely I can apply for next year's back to school.

My question is: should I buy it next month or wait?

2. Andy348 macrumors 6502

It sounds like you'll need it next month. I'd buy it next month, refurbished, and then if theres a new update (most likely Q1 or Q2 of 2010, from what I've heared) then sell it and buy a new one. Going refurbished will save you a lot of $$$ though.

3. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I would say yes since there probably wont be a major update for a while. I also agree with the above poster about refurb.

Also going through customs, as long as you don't have it boxed you should be fine. I took my MBP to and from the UK several times.

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, that is clear. I should buy it.

Can I buy refurbished at an apple brick store? I don't know exactly where or when I will buy it. Only that I will enter the first mac store I see at the earliest possible convenience.
    Or can I have it delivered at the conference hotel?

5. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok. Then I leave my macbook at home and buy a new/refurbished one and dump the boxes.

6. Andy348 macrumors 6502

From what I've read, you cannot buy refurbished machines at an Apple store.

It will be free shipping so I'd get it shipped to your hotel. I do believe that'll be possible.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1 for refurbished

although you won't get them from the apple store, you'll have to get it from the online store...maybe you should order it before you visit to some friend's/relatives house...or you can talk to the hotel you'd be staying in...or if you are staying here long enough(like for 2-3 weeks) you can order it as soon as you reach and get it shipped directly to you...:)

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...lots of companies don't allow shipping to hotels (newegg is one of them:mad:)... and many times they are NOT clear about this in the shipping policies on their web sites...

If you are visiting friends or family have the refurb shipped their instead so you know you'll get it.

...also if you do get it in the USA, mail the empty box back to yourself so you have it for any future needs...

Carry your laptop bag to the USA with you so you have the protection for the new machine you "had all along" on the way back...