MacBook Pro from Vflyer: is it safe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tallest Skil, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Back story: My entire family is comprised of Mac evangelists, but the people we deal with are less than accepting at times. Case in point, my mom's school corporation forces her to have a pathetic Gateway laptop from 1997 because she teaches special education students. This comes from the flawed logic (read: outright lie) that a certain accredited program for special ed classes only works on Windows (my mom is allowed to use her five G3 iMacs and four Core 2 iMacs as student computers, though...:confused: Idiots.) when in actuality it is a web-based program. For the past five years, she's been stuck with this pathetic excuse for a computer that she leaves on her desk every night next to a sticky note that says "Steal me." (a nod to the fact that her old computer, a 17" G4 laptop, was stolen by a substitute custodian. She's had enough of not having a computer she can use anywhere in the house, and I'm tired of her using my laptop all the time.:rolleyes:

Version for those who hate reading: My mom wants a MacBook Pro. I've found some on a site called Vflyer, which I assume is like Craigslist. However, I have no experience with either and I am wondering whether or not buying from a seller there is safe and scam-resistant or not. I know the tips: never use cash, see the device in action and person if possible, etc. I would just like some info on past experiences with this site and sites like it. Thanks.

2. peanmaj macrumors newbie

I asked myself the same question. I am convinced that it is a 100%, bonafide scam, but I will await further inquiry before fully believing it.

Strike 1: Ridiculously low prices for new Macbooks
    ($650 for new Macbook Pro?)
    Strike 2: No user comments as to the physical state of the particular laptop, only a copy/paste from Apple marketing

However, such a low price was still tempting enough for me for me to investigate further. So, I contacted two Macbook sellers named "wayne thomas" and "Arthur Williams".

Strike 3: Defies laws of probability
    I contacted both sellers at 2:48 and 3:10 AM, within 22 minutes. Wayne got back to me first nearly 13 hours later, at 3:36 PM, and (his friend) Arthur replied to me only 9 minutes later at 3:45 PM. That seems too close a response time at such a long time away from the original email. Doesn't fit laws of probability.​

Strike 4: Two business locations separated by 2,000 miles
    In his vflyer ad, wayne says he is from chicago, illinois. In his email, wayne says he ships from California. Confusingly suspicious.​

Strike 5: Similarity of responses?
    While wayne's English seem much less broken up than Arthur's, there was a sinking suspicion in the way they advertised. Both advised me to "email back to proceed", not a terribly common phrase. Only minor differences in expression, and the format of both replies was the same.​

Strike 6: Both of them only accept wire transfers such as Western Union, Money Gram, or some other non-secure transfer

I wasn't even aware of this part of their response until some googling turned up this scam article about Nigerian English bulldogs. It seems international scammers like to use vast.com/vflyers and insist on untraceable wire transfers.

I have yet to ask these folks whether they will accept Paypal payment. If they don't, Strike 7 is on its way. If they do accept Paypal, maybe then I'll back off of my conviction. I will let you know if they do. But already, as it is, both have already struck out twice. I just hope they won't read this and figure out better ways to scam other people. Let the buyer beware!

3. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Dude do yourself and your mom a favor buy from apple direct and be happy.:) you just wouldnt want to risk it.
    I just read all about those people being scammed man even I wouldnt fall for that C$@p.

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

if you want to save some money go refurb from apple.
    i just saved $500 on a macbook pro this morning ;)

5. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yawp. Thanks, guys. It was just a passing interest in Vflyer. Besides, $650 for a 2.3 Ghz Core 2 Duo? Yeah, right. My iBook was $250, and it's five years old. More than likely gonna go with refurb. Namaste, all. ;)

In short: SCAM CITY, USA...... doo doot doo...

6. ghostdog333 macrumors newbie

i contacted a vflyer seller as well. has all the markings of a scam

- he didn't respond when i asked why the low price
    - he didn't respond when i asked if i could test the mac in person

if your mom's a teacher, she can get a little education discount too