MacBook Pro Froze now wont boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsmush, Aug 29, 2012.

1. dsmush macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Spec : MacBook Pro (15 inch) Mid 2009 Core2Duo 2.53GHz, 4GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce 9400M, OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. (Owned from new)

Hi

My MacBook Pro had been idle for an hour or so then when I came back to use it it was unresponsive everything I clicked on wouldn't work and I was greeted with the spinning ball of doom. I turned it off by the power button and turned it back on it started up as usual white screen with grey apple logo then...nothing it just stuck there with a little circle of grey bars under the Apple logo. I put my install CD in and held C to boot from CD and tried repairing the permissions then I tried repairing the hard drive and it said it was OK so I tried powering off then back on only to be stuck on the white screen again with the Apple logo. I then tried booting in single user mode and typing '/sbin/fsck –fy' the first run through I got ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ***** then on the second go round I got ** The volume xxxx appears to be OK. So now I am currently using a Ubuntu Live CD Terminal to try and mount the Mac volume to gain access to my files on the Mac hard drive using 'sudo mkdir /mnt/macosx' and 'sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda /mnt/macosx' but all I get is hfs: unable to find HFS+ superblock.

Is anybody able to diagnose the problem and possibly help me access my files I would be really grateful?

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

First things first. You should have a backup. You don't have a backup? Your files may be lost.

That being said, chances are you're ok. If you have another Mac with Firewire, and the appropriate cable, you can use target disk mode. When you do this, your MacBook Pro will act as an external drive. You can plug it into your other computer and begin to transfer files.

As for diagnosing the problem, you probably have some tools to use right in front of you. One of the discs that came with your computer most likely contains the Apple Hardware test. You can use this to stress test your computer to narrow down which hardware is failing.

3. dsmush thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I did and extended hardware test but the result came out "No trouble found". I don't have another Mac or FireWire cable so I will take it into Apple store at this weekend as I just discovered I'm still covered by Apple Care until next year. In the meantime has anyone got any other suggestions to get my files back?

Thanks