MacBook Pro froze on start up & now wont re-boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steffy15, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Steffy15 macrumors newbie

Today may 3 year old macbook pro froze just after it had finished starting up and loaded itself ready to go (all the desktop etc). The mouse froze in place, couldn't do anything! :( I gave it a few mins, still froze. So i forced shut it down with the power button. Left it a few mins then, pressed the power button to start it. The light came on immediately and i could hear it running, but the screen didn't come on, it didn't make any of the usual machanical noises either just started running straight away, it wont accept discs either :confused: Its now a month out of its Apple Care Warranty as well :(

Can someone please help me?!

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

3. segers909 macrumors regular

Does your screen stay completely black? I have an optibay mod in my uMBP, and once it happened that the drive made bad contact (don't know the correct english term, sorry), and the computer just completely froze. So maybe your harddrive crashed?

However, if your screen simply doesn't turn on, it might be something more expensive, like the logic board.

4. AsianGIRLpure macrumors member

Ok....I gocha.....Welcome to the "failed 8600GT Club"....... :eek:

Don't worry, take it easy, apple has officially extended its warranty over "Nvidia 8600GT Graphic card" to 3 years.. So, take it to apple store, they will inspect the problem, once the video card problem get approved, they will send it to Houston for repair, it won't take too long, 3-4days maximum...... Most importantly, u do NOT need to pay a penny for all these things. :D

PS: I'm a two time victim of this issue.. :mad:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's three years old then it'll be a Radeon X1600-based system, not an 8600 GT.

6. Steffy15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions. I managed to get it all switched on and working again for a little while til i switched it off again to take it home as i was at work. Then when i switched it on at home again it did the same thing buy booting up but no chime and no screen the blank(as in looks like mac isn't even on) so switched it off, switched it back on, booted up fine, the 5mins later i had a black opacity scroll down the screen with a message in serveral languages saying i had to restart my mac, the only choice i had was to switch it off with the power button, so i did this powered it back up, for it to load up fine and then the restart mac message came up again. So i had to switch it off by the power button, switch it on it made a BEEEEP sound when the grey screen appeared and it booted up fine. I then decided while it was one i would back up all my files and delete them off the hard drive and erase the free space, which is taking forever. just to clean it up see how it likes that. I am very confused why its doing it. Please can you explain things in simpler terms i do not understand some of the things you are saying Thank You!

7. Steffy15 thread starter macrumors newbie

After all that i just needed my Ram replacing!

8. keithOrbit macrumors member

reboot, press command+s, input fsck -fy, reset-all, than reboot. try it.

9. Steffy15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since the new memory has been fitted its been fine, though now my battery is kapputted! It will charge up fine, but if i dont keep the adapter lead in, my mac shuts itself off... :(

10. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

It is Three years old! it might have just had enough!!!

11. Steffy15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh i guess so, but i'll do everything i can to keep it going, I've grown too attached to it, it has had alot of use though i cannot grumble about it! :)