Macbook Pro - FULL HDD and wont copy or paste

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by v8n3t, Jun 11, 2010.

1. v8n3t macrumors newbie

Ok,

So I am not a OSX person and do not know mac. I do see the relations to windows, I.E. Apple button + C is the same as control + c in windows to copy. I get stuff like that.

The problem is that his 111.47GB HDD is full!

I hooked up an external HDD to try and rip his information across to save, and it will not let me. I click on the file, do the copy and paste short cuts and it will not do anything. I manually click the file, manually do the edit copy / paste into the external HDD and nothing.

Odd thing is, I select an image, do copy and look back at the Edit menu and the option to paste is grayed out. So something is either not right with his HDD, failing maybe, or his HDD is to full to even perform these basic tasks.

Another option is virus, but I do not know at this point. Just giving the symptoms of the issues.

On another note, the mac book pro boots up into windows fine, has no permission issues with accessing other directories on different users.

So how can I backup this HDD? Seems its not letting me.

I also pulled the HDD out, through it into a cradle and tried to view it in windows and that was a no go. It just read it as a ghost partition, knew that 111.47GB HDD was there.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Delete some files.

Try clicking and dragging instead of copying and pasting files.

3. v8n3t thread starter macrumors newbie

I did both of those, was able to free up 200MB which is enough. Clicking, holding, and then dragging does not work either.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

What format is the external hard drive as indicated when you do :apple:+I or access Disk Utility? If it is NTFS, you cannot write to such a drive from the Mac OS natively, without additional software which I don't think you have sufficient hard drive space to install. To copy files to an external hard drive from the Mac OS it must be the native Mac format, Mac OS Extended, aka HFS+, or FAT32. Changing from one format to another will require erasing the external hard drive.

5. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Fuse wouldn't take up any space on an external drive.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I was under the impression that FUSE is installed on the internal hard drive, as I have no personal experience using it. In any case I forgot to note that he has freed up 200 MB of hard drive space so that gives him some breathing room to install that if he wants to keep the data already on the external drive.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I've read TS's original post several times and am having trouble understanding what he's trying to say and what he's trying to accomplish so... /shrugs

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@Signal-11: The way I parsed it is that the OP is trying to free up hard drive space and is trying to move files from the internal to an external hard drive. But he can't.

9. v8n3t thread starter macrumors newbie

to all who replied,

I am trying to backup the essential information from the HDD and help speed up his laptop.

Because of the already stated issues, I am not able to do so. Sorry if I am not coming through, been drinking lately.

10. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Aaaah. Now things make sense. :eek: Complete parse error on my part.

And yeah, your suggestion re: the external being NTFS makes sense.

v8n3t, Windows won't read hfs+, which is why when you pulled the drive and mounted it as an external from Windows, it showed up the way it did.

In Windows, right click on your external drive and go to Properties. It should tell you what the filesystem is on that drive. If it is NTFS, you will need to format the drive to FAT32 so it can be read by OSX without FUSE.

Alternatively, if you have stuff on that external already, you can repartition the drive and add an OSX readable partition.