MacBook Pro function keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aszim95, Apr 18, 2014.

1. aszim95 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a ne MacBook Pro and I am a new MAC user. I am using the Pro to log into work which is a PC server environment and a Mainframe. When logged into the Mainframe I have function keys defined to perform various tasks such as up, down, left, right, repeat find, edit, etc. If I key an 'm' on the command line and then press the F8 (my down key) it will take me to the bottom of the data I am looking at.

My question is how can I use those function keys when I am logged onto my work's mainframe using my MacBook Pro? I have tried holding the Fn key in the far left of the keyboard and then F8 and it performs the MacBook Pro function.

This is my first post and if I did this in the wrong place or format, please be kind!

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Try changing the "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" setting in System Preferences > Keyboard.

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

If you go to System Preferences > Keyboard and tick the Use all F1 F2.. keys as standard function keys. See if that helps.
    If not you can create your own keyboard shortcuts by selecting the 'Shortcuts' tab.

Barney

4. aszim95 thread starter macrumors newbie

worked for all but F10, F11 and f12

you are awesome. do you have any thoughts about F10, F11 and F12. when I am linked into work and I strike one of those keys it goes to a Mac function.

also, any thoughts on which key forces the cursor home? is there a home key.

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

6. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Depending on what software you're using, it may also be Fn+arrow keys like many PC laptops:

Fn+Up: Page Up
    Fn+Down: Page Down
    Fn+Left: Home
    Fn+Right: End

I've seen different interpretations for keyboard mapping with things like Virtualbox, Microsoft Remote Desktop, VMware Horizon, and simple SSH connections. How are you connecting?