MacBook Pro Game question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cankoops, Aug 21, 2012.

1. cankoops macrumors newbie

What games can my MacBook Pro play?

I have a 15 inch Intel HD Graphics 4000 384 MB, and OS X 10.8 software. I'm trying to figure what games I can get so that I don't wast money.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pretty much all of the games in the Mac App Store will run fine, with some settings adjustments here and there.

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I think you could run pretty much any game, even on Windows. Not on any decent graphics settings obviously, but the HD 4000 is certainly a capable GPU.

4. Razzz macrumors member

Get used to running games on low settings all around. I did this with my macbook air. you could probably run Counter strike source pretty fine though.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Having that second GPU makes a big difference...I have a 17" MBP, top spec, the last one before they axed it...It runs games very well indeed, but I'm a retro gamer really..Bioshock, Doom, Quake etc. all run well, but it has the other GPU which means it would probably run up to date stuff well too.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

OP has a 15" MacBook with the HD4K, which also means the discrete 650M (presumably with 512MB VRAM).

The 650M is a very capable GPU. Just Cause 2, GTA IV, Batman AA, AC2 have been running at 1920x1080 and mostly maxed settings, apart from Anti Aliasing which doesn't have a good benefit:resource usage ratio IMO (rather the extra FPS over smoothing), plugged into my TV. Portal 2 actually runs smoothly at 2880x1800 on the laptop screen. However mine has the 1GB 650M. I couldn't tell you how it compares to a 512, but it won't be a massive difference. Are you looking to play games in OSX or Windows via Bootcamp?

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Not to waste money!
    I would advise to game on Windows.
    DirectX Drivers and Engine optimizations are just much better over there.
    Personally I say definitely stay away from Civ V on Mac it is crappy as hell.

8. cankoops thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great answer.......also I will be mostly playing on OSX, but what would you say about Windows and bootcamp

9. Yuke macrumors member

Good lord...is Bioshock really considered "retro" now?

Feeling *so* very old at the moment...

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I was playing some X-Men Legends on my Gamecube the other night, imagine how I feel...

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I'm confused. If you have a 15" MBP, then you have a discrete NVidia GPU....not only the HD4000. Which means you can play any game available. You just have to install windows.

12. cankoops thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah I know but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get a game that would require more pixels then my computer could hold, and if the game would lag/crash

13. playsontheleft macrumors regular

What do you mean by "require more pixels"? If you have a standard 15" MBP, you've got a 1440x900 display there which is a very normal size to have. Particularly old games might be made for lower resolutions but I can't imagine a situation where you'd need more pixels than your display offers for gaming. Indeed, the lower the resolution you play the game at, the higher your FPS will be in general.

14. Yuke macrumors member

I still have a working 2600, and if I could be bothered to find a power supply for it, an old "Video Tennis" (read: Pong) machine that I'm fairly sure is functional.

Both of which I played when they were new.

In comparison, it feels like Bioshock came out yesterday ;P

15. strukt macrumors member

strukt

Yeah same here, if Bioshock is a retro game I am ooooooooold....

Anyways, you should be able to game somewhat with that computer. I would highly recommend to install Windows though. To get most performance out of the hardware.

16. cankoops thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean how would I know what games to stay away from cause they work on retina books, if there is any. It sounds like I can play any game, just will need to change quality on some. I'm just making sure

17. crossi81 macrumors member

What they're trying to tell you it's that it doesn't exists a 15'' pro with no discrete card.

There are:

1) 13'' Pro with HD 4000 only
    2) 15'' Pro with HD 4000 AND discrete 650m

Which model do you have? It makes a lot of difference.

18. cankoops thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got the 15 inch

19. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Windows is/windows games are better optimized. You'll be able to run games more smoothly/higher quality in Boot Camp, so it's certainly worth doing for any intensive games, not to mention most are Windows only anyway. What games do you have/looking to buy? Do you have steam?

Basically, there is no game that your laptop won't play due to lack of power. I don't think there are even any games that won't run well at low settings. You have a powerful laptop.

20. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Lol @ Bioshock beeing retro.

As far as I know retro still means pre-N64/PS...

21. crossi81 macrumors member

Then everything should run on it, even 2012 games (worst case: native resolution 1440x900 and low settings), since it will auto switch to 650m anyway when you play games.