Macbook Pro Gaming

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by nickarmadillo, Mar 13, 2009.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

I have a Macbook Pro 17" with the following specs:
    2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4Gb RAM (can only utilize 3Gb)
    320Gb 7200RPM HD
    x1600 256Mb

What recent games will run well on this machine in XP (Bootcamp)? I specifically enjoy the first-person shooter and real-time strategy genres. I recently purchased Call of Duty 4 and Medieval II, which are pushing the performance limits of my poor old Macbook Pro.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I can't give you exact numbers, but usually you can double the performance in XP versus OSX, which is kinda sad.

Be sure to use 3rd party drivers for your gfx-card, at least on the nvidia's it gives a huge boost.

3. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

4. imassents macrumors 6502

5. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I assume that I should be downloading the mobility x1600 drivers? What sort of performance increase should I be seeing? Any ideas for games? What should play well on this system?

6. jazzician macrumors newbie

Call of Duty

I actually got the Call of Duty 4 for Mac which I understand runs better on OS X than Windows. My call of Duty is running really smooth without too much cpu craziness.

7. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

Are you referring the poor old MBP as the one you listed specs for? I have the exact same MBP you do, and it runs games pretty well. It ran UT2004 and Orange Box under Boot Camp perfectly. Can't say about COD4 but I'm pretty certain it will run fine if you tweak the graphic settings a bit.

8. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I tried COD4 and it seems to work OK in Bootcamp. You need to put the resolution on 800x600 and detain on medium to go acceptable framerates though.