Macbook pro geekbench

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyjola, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kyjola macrumors newbie

When I first ran the geekbench a few weeks ago, I got a score of almost 10000. Now, I run it again, and I barely get 7200. Do any of you know the cause of this sudden drop? I'm getting worried...

Attached Files:

2. Darby67 macrumors 6502

3. skier777 macrumors 6502

Was your computer brand new when you ran it the first time?

4. kyjola thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran it with 32-bit initially. I ran it when it was brand new when I got the score of 10000. But I've only had it for a month...should it really drop from 10000 to 7000 that fast?

5. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Just did 64 bit and 32 bit run on my 2.3 i7 w/ 8GB,

64 bit: 11388
    32 bit: 10490

The 64 bit run I did when I first purchased it was 9 points higher than now which in my book is no significant differ

At any rate, not nearly as dramatic a change as yours. When you run, are you sure you don't have any programs running? Do you have it loaded up with other processes that wouldn't have been there when you purchased it?

6. kyjola thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm sure. I don't have any other programs running.

7. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Might be interesting to create another user, restart in that new user and run again. See if fewer processes and kernel extensions move the needle.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

9. skier777 macrumors 6502

Over a month i accumulate lots of little junk apps and helper apps that run in the background, IDK if thats whats causing the problem or not.

Also remember that just because your score dropped from 10k to 7k, this doesn't mean that your computer is 70% as fast and efficient as when it was new. Because real world computing doesn't really work the way geekbench works...

10. kyjola thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok yay. I rebooted and I got 10000 again. Weird..

11. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I figured that would do the trick. One of great strengths of OS X is that it's amazingly rock solid so that it can go without a reboot for literally years, but over time naturally a number of background processes become activated and the memory map becomes more complicated which requires the OS to do a bit more work in order to manage that complex memory situation, etc. This of course requires a bit of CPU power and resources which means that you'll lose a bit of performance as time goes on.

That said, losing 30% of your system resources sounds pretty high to me unless it's been 6 months since you last restarted or have been using a lot of weird or flakey programs or programs that do a lot of unexpected quits or something. In any case, if I were you I'd rerun geekbench every few days to see if there's any sudden drop in performance one day. And if you find a sudden drop in performance one day then you can think back and try to figure out which program is causing it.

12. unitero macrumors newbie

Well, you didn't get a score of 81134, like me! :)
    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/top