Macbook pro geforce 8600m gt (heads up)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gunga Din, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Gunga Din, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I know many people already have heard about the issues with this video chip in the early 2008 Macbook Pros. The reason i'm posting now is that my Chip finally failed but because of Article TS2377 (listed on APPLE's Site, support.apple.com/kb/ts2377), if you had apple care then it was extended 1 yr.

The guy told me that if it had failed one month from now the repair would have cost me $400 instead of free.

Incase your having issues like distorted video or no video, you might want to take it in to your nearest apple store now. They can run a test on the machine and tell if its faulty. They are repairing mine free of charge. New logic board and video chip. Not sure what video chip but its not gonna be the 8600M.

Some of you might be closing in on the end of that 4 yr extension. Just wanted to let people know before all hell breaks loose in your machine.

Cheers.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, it's probably time to sue apple again. But who has the time and money for that :D

What I never figured out is whether the replacement logic boards still suffer from the same issue, or whether they use a batch of GPUs that does not have a larger than normal fail rate. It still will have the 8600 GPU I think, at least mine has.

Maybe in a few years we see a full recall of the 8600 GT models, like with the iPod nano now.

3. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

There is a mile long thread about this... But the replacement are the same 8600m chip and they claim it´s rev.2 and flawless it suffers from the exact same problem. Just read up on the existing thread...

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Thanks. I know there's another thread, but I didn't know where in the 119 pages (!) the relevant information is hidden.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

The late 2008 models have faulty vid chips too but unfortunately apple never acknowledged it.

6. theman macrumors 6502a

I had this issue on my late 2007 MBP, a month after the warranty expired. This was before the 1 year extension policy even existed i believe. They just fixed it for free with hardly any questions.

7. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

When I get my MBP back i'll let u know the results. I know there are countless threads on the subject , but because most are probably at that 4 yr mark, i wanted to bring people's attention to it.