Macbook Pro getting hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, May 30, 2014.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Lately the base of my Macbook Pro seems to be getting noticeably hotter to the touch on the base towards the back. However, when I run desktop monitor the temps aren't overly hot (under 70 degrees) and the fans aren't spinning more than 2500 rpm.

My MBP is a late 2011 with 2.2GHz i7 processor. I recently swapped my Crucial 512GB M4 SSD for a Crucial 1TB M550 SSD, and upped RAM from 8GB to 16GB so am assuming it could be due to one of these upgrades. Does anyone have any idea? Why would it feel hotter if the CPU temps aren't high?

Cheers.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just sounds like a slight difference in load is being dissipated to the case so the CPU temps stays within bounds. Perfectly possible for the RAM upgrade to allow the CPU to run a tad harder, do whatever you asked it to quicker but generate an amount of extra CPU heat doing so....which then gets moved to the case by the fan/air movement.

All sounds normal.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks. As long as it won't affect the lifespan on the computer that's fine :)

4. coldwaves macrumors regular

As long as the CPU and GPU temperature is not too high, you should be fine. MBP with discrete GPU tends to run hotter. I think it is mainly from the discrete GPU.

5. quasar~ macrumors newbie

Hey it also could be a dust build up at the heatsink/ fan area. Dust tends to make my computer hotter...

6. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, thanks. I guess it could be this as it tends to get hottest when editing photos using aperture and photoshop, and also watching youtube.

----------

Thanks, I'll check for this.