MacBook Pro getting slower ... slower

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RonJones, Feb 2, 2012.

1. RonJones macrumors newbie

My 15" macbook pro is getting slower and slower... is there any software of anything I can do to make it faster?? please help!!

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Yeah. Try Windows.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Computer speed is usually fixed by faster processors, faster hard driver(ie SSD vs HHD) and more RAM(more free RAM does not really help much, but more RAM does help on not running out of RAM which would make things run slow)

maybe some more details on what your considering slow or what its slow at doing might help people give you the proper advice

4. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

you can clean out some crap with iboostup in the mac app store. Other than that get an SSD

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Download FreeMemory (a free app from the mac app store) and install it. In your menu bar it will show your RAM usage. Post some screenshots when your MacBook Pro is being slow. Open activity monitor (search it in spotlight) and post some screenshots of that too.

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

iBoostup is more of a snake oil. You will get the most benefit by running "purge" command from Terminal as free memory runs out. There are few free apps that will do this on your behalf, such as FreeRAM Booster.

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Backup. Reformat. Reinstall?

Honestly, how are you people this clueless about a tool you use everyday? I mean, it's always good to figure out why it's running slowly, but personally, reinstalling the OS solves all problems, and is easy to do.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not everyone uses it as a tool, nor uses it everyday (I am on mine 10-12 hrs/day, my wife might be on hers 5-10 hrs/week).

She is the perfect example of the average user around here as shas no idea about backing up, formatting, or reinstalling anything. The problem is, if it the slowdown is caused by an installed software, the reinstall puts it right back on the system and within a short time you are where you were before. This is not windows where the reinstall works wonders as it purges the registry. I rarely do a clean install, if at all it is when I install new/ replacement hardware and my system runs as fast as it did when I got it. I think it is better to give some examples of the slowing and try to fix it rather than just reinstalling everything.

9. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I recently did a little maintenance on my wife's MBP13 which had gotten slower over the last year.

It was a simple case of my tinkering around with dozens of apps that were set to start automatically (things like Plex). Simply removed them and it's back up to [near] OOTB performance.

:)