Macbook Pro getting to hot!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mr. Clean, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Mr. Clean macrumors member

Mr. Clean

How hot is too hot????? My Macbook is running at 199- 205F as I play WOW, world of Warcraft. Is this to hot, and if so how can I cool it down? Also my fan is running at 3500 rpm's.

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think that's a bit too high. WoW is very GPU/CPU intensive, especially if all your settings are at the highest levels. If you want to run your fans at higher RPMs, try smcFanControl.

Also, make sure to have some space between the bottom of the MBP and the surface it's laying on.

3. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

Thank you for the info, i am using the fan control. the funny thing is, my son's macbook runs much cooler than my MBP......

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You just got to remember that the MacBook Pro is and has always been a hot machine. Mostly it's due to the aluminum casing (that it uses as a massive heat sink to dissipate heat) and the fact that it has a dedicated video card unlike the plastic MacBook with an Intel graphics card.

Now that the MacBooks have decent graphics from Nvidia and aluminum casings, it would be interesting to see how they compare to the older plastic ones in terms of heat. I'm guessing it would be a bit hotter, but not as bad as the MBPs.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I bought a Belkin notebook cooler. It is basically a plastic laptop device that has a fan that runs via the USB port. It really keeps the laptop cool. Although having a device in between your laptop and your lap would do the job, this thing actually keeps the bottom of the MB at least 20 degrees cooler. Worth the $19.99. No noticeable difference in battery life either (for times when unplugged). And extremely quiet.

6. Mr. Clean thread starter macrumors member

Mr. Clean

I have also noticed that WOW starts to pause a bit as the MBP gets HOT...What do you think about that?

I have thought about getting one of those coolers. At work I use a plate of aluminum under it to draw the heat away.