Macbook Pro: Ghz VS RAM ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joko, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Hi just out of interest, I'm trying to decide between:

15'' MBP - 2.2Ghz with 4 GB RAM

or

15'' MBP - 2.4Ghz with 2 GB RAM

They're roughly the same price, which would give me the better performance?

Using primarily for running Logic Studio 8 and video editing.

Thanks.

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I've found that adding more ram has a greater effect (speed increase) than a modest increase in processor power .. :)

3. g808 macrumors regular

4. timtam macrumors member

if you heavily using Logic 8 and edit video, bump of .Ghz will help you a bit. But I reckon adding more RAM would speed things up considerably.

Why not get both? :D :apple:

5. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

I could do just that! Although it's kinda a temp solution until I move my studio overseas.

I see your 17'' is nicely kitted out, must run like a dream! Could yours be considered a desktop replacement?

6. tobrien24 macrumors newbie

SO - Dimms

Hey guys, just wondering if the 15'' MBP ships with two 1GB RAM, or one 2GB RAM and leaves the other slot free?

Cheers

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It ships with 2 x 1gb. (performance is improved slightly by fitting RAM in matched pairs)

8. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

If it's totally either/or with no chance for both, then RAM is more important. However, you can upgrade RAM later (and it's cheap!) you can't upgrade the processor. My vote: get both and skip a few meals out to pay for the RAM.

9. timtam macrumors member

10. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Ah yes the new and very mysterious MBP would be great but can I wait that long? I wish I could, although I can feel myself slipping to the dark side. I may pull the trigger..

buy now: sacrifice better faster technology
    buy later: sacrifice creativity/productivity

Should be an easy decision, but alas, it is not.

But back to the thread:

Sometimes I think I should max out a 17'' (Hi Res, 4GB RAM, 7200 HD) and use that as a desktop replacement for a couple years, it would definately save me money long term.

Hmmmm decisions..

11. timtam macrumors member

Though love, :D.
    Well, the way I see it, the MBP should coming out pretty soon, dare I say the end February.
    Will I buy the new one, to get the latest and fastest MBP to bump my productivity? Probably no, My current one get the job done flawlessly.
    I might sell my current one if they have launch the Quad Core MBP, :D.

Oh back to the topic, yeah add more Rams.

12. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

get the faster processor then save up for more ram its pretty cheaper from crucial

13. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Thanks TimTam. I think RAM is def the way forward. Although the maxed out 17'' desktop replacement debate has reared its head :) I have posted a new thread regarding it.

Thanks again.

14. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I use Logic Pro 8 heavily, and Mainstage, and the biggest bottleneck in my 2.2 MBP is the CPU. I have 4GB RAM, and even with LOADS of stuff going on, RAM usage never gets above 25%. CPU on the other hand is worked VERY hard.

The increase in CPU will mean you can add a couple more instruments/effects to your projects, which could be very important.

Get the CPU, and upgrade the RAM 3rd party (cheap!) later if you feel you need to.

Also get a fast (7200rpm min) HD if you can, for audio/video work.

15. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Great thanks alot. Always to good to hear from someone with hands on experince. I'm shifting ever closer to the top spec MBP.

What's crazy is how I used to work on a solo core 2.0 Ghz processor and 1.5GB RAM (using windows) doing work for tv ads etc and never really had a problem. And then today, duo core 2.2Ghz doesn't feel like enough for the same type of work. I guess there is a bigger demand for processor power with new software.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

personally i would go the 2.4ghz version with 2gb RAM. based solely on the opinion that the extra 0.2ghz will last you maybe that little bit longer in the long run. you'd be surprised how much it will come in handy, and you can save up a bit longer and down the track purchase 4gb of RAM cheaper from a 3rd party company (usually 1/2 the price of apple RAM)....