Macbook Pro: Glossy or Matt Screen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomoisyourgod, Feb 6, 2008.

1. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I'm purchasing a Macbook Pro tomorrow... cannot wait! What's the best option for the screen you reckon?

I'll be using it for Flash and Graphic/Web design work...

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

There's a bajillion other of these threads. If you want color accuracy, go with matte.

And next time, try searching. ;)

3. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

I would guess it depends on how bad reflections on your screen tend to annoy or distract you.

Gloss makes the image on your screen look deeper and nicer, but makes it highly reflective.

Might be a good Idea to visit an apple store, and look at the difference if possible. Or look at other displays with a glossy screen. I know a lot of HP/Compaq and Sony laptops use a glossy screen.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

A bajillion and one, actually.:D If you want crisp images, go with glossy.

5. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It really comes down to personal preference. Go to the Apple store and compare them side-by side.

I vote for matte...

6. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Glossy looks pretty and crispy, matte looks dull and fuzzy.

7. blairwillis macrumors regular

Remember something very very very very important: The Apple Store environment might not be an accurate comparison to your true typical working environment. The Apple Store is very brightly lit, but more indirectly.

The gloss screens have so much reflection that it can be a major pain in certain environments. I use my laptop outside A LOT and the matte screen is a major plus, because it diffuses reflections.

Wherever you go to compare (Apple Store, Best Buy, etc.) do a lot of moving around to see how major light reflections really affect the visibility of the screen.

I bet in a few years we'll have a combination matte/gloss screen that is controlled by a polarized pixel filter. Turn on the matte when you need it (bright ambient light) or turn it off when you don't!

8. TheBigS macrumors member

This may seem like an obvious question but there is supposed to be a macbook revision according to rumors in the next week. Might it be worth waiting?

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have the glossy screen and it is amazing. I have never had a problem with reflections in the way. The only reflections you really get are when you are viewing from a side angle.