MacBook Pro Goes Off Line

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warburg, Nov 6, 2009.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

I have had a 17' MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.1 for about two weeks. Every once in a while, the computer simply goes off line. I know that this is not a cable or router problem because my wife ses a G4 PowerBook running OS 10.5.8 in the next room using the same cable and hub, and it is not happening to er computer.

I can get back on line with a simple restart, but since I just paid $2,500 for this machine, I'm somewhat concerned that this is happening. Has anyone else had this problem :confused:

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

it might well be an issue with osx. Some other people have been having issues with wi-fi connectivity.. If it is the case i would sit it out, 10.6.2 is just round the corner, which is reportedly supposed to solve alot of the issues that snow leopard has bought to the table.

Have you tried moving into the next room as well, trying different rooms for wireless signal strength.. i know that in my bedroom i cant recieve signal for wifi, but if i move a metre into the kitchen i can. Although saying that, its always been like that.. anyways its still worth a shot i guess.

PTP

3. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

What happens if instead of rebooting you turn your airport off and then back on using the airport icon in the menu bar?

4. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried this yet, but thanks for the suggestion. Of course, if I did this my wife's computer would go off also. The fact that she is not affected makes me think that the hub is not the problem, but when this happens again, I'll certainly give it a try.

5. stevemiller macrumors 68000

@warburg, i think jpefjr was referring to the airport receiver inside your mac (which is what the airport icon in the menubar controls) not your router or hub.

however when you say "its not a cable problem" are you implying that you're connected via ethernet, or just that you have internet through cable rather than dsl? (haha i think we have too many overlapping technology terms these days)

anyway, i have this same issue with dropouts over wifi since upgrading to snow leopard, and the wifi on/off trick from the menubar is how i've been surviving until apple fixes this mess.

6. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to, turning the airport off on the OP's MBP.

7. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, thanks all. I do understand. I shouldn't have used the term"router." There really are too many terms for a 79-year old man to keep in mind! :rolleyes: