MacBook Pro going into hibernation while on power adapter, worried about security.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwellsMBP, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dwellsMBP macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I've got a mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro (non-retina) that just recently updated to 10.8.2 (or whatever the latest patch was). It seems that ever since then, when I use the laptop after it having been left alone for several hours, it's in hibernation. I get the grey screen, have to punch in my password, it boots to the login screen, hangs for a moment, and then I can login to OS X.

This is all while plugged into a good, working power adapter that came with the system. The battery is still at 99%. I tried resetting the power settings in sys prefs but that did nothing.

If wanted, I can post the console log which does show it going into hibernation with a notification queue overflow happening shortly before (maybe relating to Messages doing such a lousy job of syncing with my phone). Then several hours later at 2:49AM, it seems to have woken itself, performed some network activity, then gone back into hibernation, here's an excerpt:

11/15/12 2:49:17.000 AM kernel[0]: Wake reason: EC.SleepTimer (SleepTimer)
    11/15/12 2:49:17.000 AM kernel[0]: AirPort_Brcm43xx::powerChange: System Wake - Full Wake/ Dark Wake / Maintenance wake

I see it mentions a sleep timer, of which I have none set.

I wonder if this is a potential security issue? I did run an app a month or so ago which came from an untrusted source, launched, and immediately quit (it was a fake of what I was actually looking for). I found it odd that a modified executable managed to run despite Gatekeeper being set to signed apps only, even if it did immediately close.

What's the logical next step here? Back up my data, wipe the system and do a reinstall to be sure? Or can someone confirm that this isn't a security issue and I should just zap my PRAM and NVRAM and take it from there?

Thanks, everyone.

2. aircanman macrumors 6502

there has been a lot of this on here recently, I think it is something to do with the latest update that came out, when I phoned apple they said they were not aware of this (yeah right) - but some people on here have also said it is a feature (WTF) - an annoying one if you ask me because on my brand new 2012 MBP, it takes longer to wake from hibernate than it would if I rebooted the whole thing.

3. dwellsMBP thread starter macrumors newbie

Poking around in the system profiler, I discover autopoweroff was set to 1. So it was a matter of:

sudo pmset -c autopoweroff 0

To fix the sleep issue.