MacBook Pro going to sleep randomly even when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mpstrex, May 16, 2011.

1. mpstrex macrumors member

mpstrex

Hey everyone,

I'm using a MacBook Pro from spring 2010 with the latest version of Snow Leopard. For a couple of months now, it's been randomly going to sleep, even when plugged in. I thought it was shutting down, but the light on the front pulses like it's asleep.

I've tried hitting the power button, nothing. I've closed the lid, then opened it and the screen stays black, but the light stays solid, like it's awake. I have to manually shut everything down by holding the power button for 5 seconds, zap the PRAM, etc.

Any ideas why this is happening? Also, I don't have the original Mac OS X install discs, and when I try to do reboot off a copy of Snow Leopard I own, it won't boot off the disc. It just sits there, no Apple logo on the gray screen. Is there anyway around it to do an archive and install?

Thanks,

mpstrex

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with power/charging/battery/sleep issues. Resetting it will not help. Try resetting the SMC, which does address such issues. Instructions in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

Thanks very much! I just did the SMC reset. The Apple Notebook Battery FAQ is awesome.

One more question... if I don't have the original Mac OS X installation discs, how can I use my copy of Snow Leopard that I bought to do an archive and install? It gets hung up on the reboot off the disc.

Thanks again,

mpstrex

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.

5. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

Is there a specific work-around since I don't have the original install discs? Btw, the computer's screen went black again, so I re-set the SMC again.

Thanks,

mpstrex

6. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I'm still having the same issues, but I've started to notice it happens when I'm on Safari. At least that's what I'm remember the past few days...

Any thoughts? Also, how can I do a re-install from my copy of Snow Leopard if it isn't the original disc? I'm having issues booting off the legal copy of Snow Leopard I bought.

Thanks,

mpstrex

7. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I may have solved the issue: it's Safari

Hey everyone,

I may have figured out the issue... I think it's Safari. It's doing something when I'm searching around, or opening a new tab, and it's causing the MacBook Pro to suddenly go to sleep.

I haven't uninstalled it yet, since I love Safari so much, but I have gone to using Firefox 100% of the time. I prefer Camino, but there are enough positive things about FF that is having me use it over Camino.

Thanks,

mpstrex

8. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

I Googled Safari crashes, and this last post may be the answer:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/10345354?messageID=10345354

Nothing now that I'm on Firefox 100% of the time. I'm gonna try deleting the com.apple.Safari.plist and com.apple.Safari.rss.plist (home folder/library/preferences) and reset Safari, and see what happens.

Thanks,

mpstrex

9. mpstrex thread starter macrumors member

mpstrex

Thought I'd update... it got worse with FCP X and QuickTime X, along with random "crashes" with other apps, both Apple and third-party. I took the MacBook Pro back to my local Apple Store and the "senior" Genius said it's likely the logic board (and maybe a failing hard drive, to boot).

The unit has been sent out for repairs. I bought a Mac mini as a second computer, so I'm still going strong!

Thanks,

mpstrex