Macbook Pro gone awol! Wierd keyboard and HD symbol on startup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andersand1000, Feb 28, 2010.

1. andersand1000 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I was hoping some of you guys could help me out with this.

The other day I left my Macbook pro for a few hours and when I came back and opened it again, the keyboard could only type in a wierd symbol language (Looked almost like ancient greek :) ) - The only way to write English letters was to keep the CAPS LOCK key turned on.

I opened the keyboard viewer - and this was what it showed: [​IMG]

(No screenshot available sry)

Furthermore, when I open my computer at startup - I have to press a HD symbol to access the mac.

I may have pushed some shortcut button by accident, but I really can't recall.

Do you folks have any clue as to what might be the problem?

Thanks alot!

2. Ardoptres macrumors regular

Har du Windows installeret på comuteren?

Hvis du har, har du måske downloaded et program som lader dig vælge hvilken partition du starter op på, uden at skulle holde alt/option nede? (kan ikke huske hvad det hedder)

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Looks like you changed your language to Danish.

Follow these screens and make sure your language is set to english, like mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Ardoptres macrumors regular

5. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

re:

Yes, Im Danish so that shouldnt be the problem :) - The letters it types is for example é†é®n ...

I haven't installed Windows on it either - At first I thought it might be that I accidentally pressed a shortcut that changed the keyboard setting.. but that wouldn't explain that I have to press the HD symbol on screen at startup.

I am completely in the dark about this problem? Could it be a website / software update or something like that? ..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

6. moonjhm macrumors newbie

7. lag1090 macrumors 6502

That is almost certainly the problem. The option key is shown to be engaged in the screenshot, and holding option down causes special characters to be written.

Funny how it took so long for someone in the thread to suggest that.

8. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Geez... is it really that simple? ... :eek:

So is the Alt/option button like an "on/off"-switch (like Caps Lock) ? Because .. obviously Im not pressing it down all the time. Could it perhaps be a malfunction then?

And does this explain the HardDrive symbol upon startup?

9. lag1090 macrumors 6502

Yes, it's very likely that the actual key is stuck since it is not a toggle switch like capslock.

It would also explain the appearance of a partition selection screen upon startup.

10. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Yes, just checked the startup procedure on another mac and the HD symbol also appears when alt/option is pressed.

Hmm.. So basically the solution would be...I need to clean the keyboard (kinda tricky on a laptop right?) Or get it repaired? ..

11. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

12. andersand1000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Okay, i've tried removing both alt/option buttons and cleaning the keyboard. (Even though its only a 5 month old laptop) - but the keyboard viewer still shows that they are pressed down.

Is there any possibility that there's a "setting" on the mac somewhere that is causing the problem? Im thinking of "sticky keys" or something like that?

13. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It's not a setting if it occurs on startup. Short of resetting the SMC you will have to let a service technician examine it IMO.