macbook pro good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gimmeiphone, Aug 2, 2008.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

so iv found a macbook pro on ebay for $1700 and $85 to ship it here to the uk, the seller seems cool, has 100% feedback and has sold quite a few macbook pros. Its sealed in the box and has these specs:

2.4GHz
    15.4" TFT Glossy
    2gb ram
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512MB

the serial number is (i think its a bad photo) w88280ss1xr

thats really cheap compared to anything else iv seen, what do you think?

2. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

Isn't it $1700 in the apple store? refurb but probably more reliable.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure you already know, but in case you don't, here's the warranty left on that MBP:

Attached Files:

4. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

oh no i didnt know how to do that warranty thing thanks :D and it probably is cheaper in the refurb store but im in the uk so yeah lol not cheap for me unfortunately. so good deal? i know theyr all about to be updated but the macbook pro still looks way ahead of an of the other computers today, cant really go out of style.

5. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Can I get confirmation on that graphics card? Unless this is a previous gen model, I don't think you can get a 2.4GHz with the 512MB card. And even then I didnt think you could getting in a previous gen model.

6. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

lol already ahead of you, thought that looked a little out of place, iv sent him a message will let you know when he replys.:)

Edit: yep its 256mb, booo lol

7. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Also curious as to why the seller doesn't just return the mbp.

It's only been a few days.

8. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

I know Apple charges a little extra for their stuff in the UK however if you are going to put that much money into something I would go the little extra bit and get a referb or just get a new one. If not make sure you get insurance on it and make sure the insurance covers the whole thing, especially since it is flying across the pond and all. I got my MBP from Apple for $1800 (plus tax) with free shipping with like an educational discount or something.

by the way, I totally dont know anything about this, but what about power. I thought your power outlets were different than ours... Would you need to buy an adaptor or another power adaptor or something?

9. kmarketing macrumors 6502

It's hard for me not to consider...

He/she is within the return period. And for the seller to lose money on ebay fees? It sounds a little fishy to me.

10. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i think theyr only cheap, but after thinking bout it it doesnt seem that good of a deal lol i just want a mbp:eek: