Macbook pro, graphics card question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pros63599, Sep 13, 2009.

1. pros63599 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So i still havent purchased my new macbook pro yet. pease read through my predicament and tell me what you would do in this situation...

So i originally was going to buy the slightly older mbp which had the 9400 and the 9600 graphics card on it, and i was going to go to the shop tomorrow to buy it(thte reason i made such a beeline for the older model which has the 9600 graphics card in it is because I want to use adobe after effects and final cut pro).

The problem is that I have rung the store to reserve one for me and the guy told me that the boxes are opened on the older mbp's. They are all ex display models. Im now thinking I should just get the brand spanking new mbp with the built in battery and the 9400 graphics card on its own, but am I really going to be hindered by the lack of the nvidia 9600 graphics card? I mean does it make a huge amount of difference with video editing apps and things like after effects? and are graphics card upgradeable on mbps?

Your thoughts please guys

Thanks in advance.:)

2. patrickboyd macrumors newbie

i also want to know if you can upgrade the graphics cards. I assume you can in the 15" but what about the 13"?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You cannot upgrade the graphics chip in any Mac aside from the Mac Pro - the rest of the desktops, and every notebook (including all MacBook Pro models) cannot be upgraded. You're stuck with whatever Apple ships, unfortunately, which is the Nvidia GEForce 9400M (+9600M GT in the high end models).

4. pros63599 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so u cnt upgrad thegraphics card, is the 9400 tottally useless with final cut pro and after effects use?

5. TSE macrumors 68030

No. The 9400 is a midrange card which should handle almost everybody's uses just fine unless you want to do hardcore gaming or professional video editing.

6. Doshka macrumors newbie

man i dont see what your problem is, the new macbook pro 15" ships with the 9600 as well as the 9400 graphics cards. The only one that ships with just the the 9400 Graphics card is the macbook pro 13". But if you are planning to do video editing and such then i suggest you go with the 15" model anyways, as the increased screen will make life easier on your eyes.

I love the 13" MBP and it took me 3 weeks to decide between the 15" and the 13". The 13" is just the perfect size and looks amazing. Its weight, dimensions, and size are just sweet, plus it really looks like its packs a nice punch (power wise that is). But i have been using the Macbook Air for the past year now and it really suffered from being underpowered, and i just worried that the lack of the 9600 card on the 13" model would make me regret it. I guess if the 13" MBP came with the 9600 GPU then i might have gone for it
    As it is I ended up going with the the MBP 15" 2.8 500GB (7200 speed HDD). I haven't received it still waiting fro the delivery man to come.

If you do decide to go with the 15" model remember to upgrade the HDD to the 7200 rpm one i think its well worth the small price increase.

Good Luck:)