Macbook Pro Graphics Card RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by awessing, Jun 8, 2008.

1. awessing macrumors newbie

I am thinking to buy the brand new Macbook Pro (system - 2gb ram and graphics - 256mb ram) and I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade the RAM on my graphics card. I know you can update your ram for your system and apple gives you the option to upgrade the graphics card ram on their web site, but I need to know if i can upgrade the ram that works with my graphics (upgrade my 256 MB to a 512 or a 1gb ram for graphics only) by myself and buy the ram chip myself.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

no

but. There's barely a performance difference between 256 and 512 graphics memory.

So no, and no its not worth buying it.

3. jbaird77 macrumors member

apple isn't intelligent when it comes to graphic cards, they freakin solder then to the mobo >.<. Pisses me off because NVidia just announced the Geforce Mobile 9 Series -.-

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're not intelligent...; tell me who else can put a 8600GT in a computer and keep it at 1-inch thick?

The MXM cards take up too much space.

5. jbaird77 macrumors member

yeah i understand what you mean, still it would be cool if NVidia made external graphic cards :p that you can plug in via highend firewire or something lol...I can dream :p

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if the ExpressCard slot was x16 instead of x1, it would be possible to do external video cards.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep...

Apple is making ample use of the surface mount CPUs also, wouldn't be surprised to see a high performance surface package similar to the leap with the MBA chip packages.

We knew well before hand that Apple had asked for custom runs in new chip package designs, hopefully it doesn't just end with the MBA.

Hopefully we shall see with the next gen machines.