Macbook pro graphics card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danvan21, Jul 23, 2008.

1. danvan21 macrumors regular

I know there is a lot of talk about malfunctioning graphics cards. Does this only apply to previous models? or all models? If I buy a new MBP right now, i might wait not sure yet, will my graphics card be bad?

2. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

It has been officially said...but the MacBook Pro from Summer 2007 and the new Early 2008 Penryn model (current). Nobody knows if your graphics card will be bad.

5. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

my 15" MBP (Penryn powered) has had zero issues. probably the best laptop I've owned to date.

6. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

so pretty much what is being said is that no one really knows which macs have problems. Wow that really sucks

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you look at the iMac G5s with the capacitor issues ...

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/powersupply/repairextension/

or was it

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Basically they will warrant it for 3 years from date of purchase for the bad component anyhow, and in some cases a bit after that.

So really isn't too much to worry about. Just the time lost for repairs.

8. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Don't worry, you should be fine.
    In the event that a wide spread problem is found, Apple probably will fix it for free.

9. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

10. lucero1148 macrumors member

As far as I know all MBP with the Nvidia G8200/8600 chip sets have the potential for breaking down. The main factor for potential motherboard failrues is due to overheating/cooling contractions over time. So if you're into playing 3d games or even having multiple applications on screen for day to day work and you notice your mbp getting hot, over time the chance for catastrophic failure is high. You'll know when you start suffering screen issues and/or application crashes which leads to sporadic system crashes and when it becomes frequent to the point your MBP will just die.

Happened to me twice already.
    Patrick

11. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I just hope that Apple has some kind of official statement on it. It's a shame I found out about it after my warranty expired or I would have gotten AppleCare. I have another year of warranty through Mastercard, but that's going to be much less of a pleasant experience, especially right in the middle of graduate school.

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've already had a logic board replacement on my 2 month old G86-based MBP, although it's hard to say if the graphics chipset was to fault. However, I do multitask a lot and render in FCP frequently (but that's more CPU intensive than anything else).

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm hoping they will make an official announcement as well.. but seems like their keeping their trap shut for the moment.

14. Yixian macrumors 65816

Dude just wait for the new Montevina MacBook Pros, the GPU will probably be an HD 3850, which is over 2x faster than the current card.

15. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

When is Montevin coming out ??????????

16. Yixian macrumors 65816

Nobody knows for sure but educated guesses say that it's not unreasonable to expect it within the next few weeks.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

After 8 pages of people telling you why the 3800 mobility cards WON'T be used in the next version, you tell people that they will. Classy! :rolleyes: