Macbook Pro Graphics Glitch Disaster!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Just1nCase, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Just1nCase macrumors member

Since last night, my Macbook Pro (2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 15", Model A1211) graphics decided to become a complete disaster for me and remains inoperable. I am unsure what caused this problem–making this problem difficult for me to resolve.

Basically, my screen displays a bunch of graphic glitchy artifacts all over my display. I am unable to navigate through and eventually would freeze or turn off its screen. It even happens after a cold boot—so, overheating is not playing a factor to this issue.

What should I do? Try to boot from the OS disc? Could it be a hardware problem that I can repair? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a photo of what's happening.

[​IMG]

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most likely the graphics card and a trip to the Apple Store is in order

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That definitely looks like a graphics card issue, and most likely booting from the CD won't help.
    If I remember that MacBook correctly, you have an AT X1600 Graphics card, which is not covered by the Recall. If you have an Nvidia 8600, bring it into Apple ASAP, as they have a repair extension program going on that ends soon that will cover it.
    You *can* try booting from the Install DVD, and if you're very lucky that might resolve the issue.
    If it looks fine once you boot, it's probably a software issue and you should reinstall the OS.

4. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

I agree. What makes me confused is that the fact that it decided to crap out of me all of sudden.

I did used for this laptop with some intense gaming at times in Boot Camp and played Starcraft II. Since it has a low-end graphics card, it was struggling to keep up—maybe stressing the graphics card to its limit. :/

5. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Correct, I have a Ati X1600 graphics card. I guess my only hope is a trip to the Apple Store to fix this issue. By any chance, do you know how much it cost to replace graphic cards? If you don't, its cool.

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Here's the problem... You can't..
    The Graphics Card is soldered to the logic board/motherboard, and thus you have to replace the whole board.
    If by any chance you still have AppleCare it will be covered, however you might be subject to a flat repair rate of the like $400 if I remember correctly, or even $850 or $950 depending on how much the board costs in the system. You never know, you might even have a genius that is in a good mood that day, and gives you a free repair. Try being nice, and see what happens. :)
    Again, have them try and boot from the genius bar image if you take it in and see if it works.

7. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Yikes! Unfortunately, I don't have AppleCare anymore. So, I might end up spending an arm and a leg to replace the logic board. Scary as that sounds, I think I'm better off upgrading to newer laptop. We'll see.

I'll go ahead check out the Apple store later this week. Thanks for the help.

8. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Went to the Genius Bar today, they couldn't run their diagnosis on my Macbook Pro. They recommended me to replace my logic board which will cost me $310. Ouch!

I'm thinking of either upgrading to a new Macbook Pro since I'm overdue of upgrading my current laptop or wait for the upcoming iPad.

Thanks for the helps guys.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Before you toss the unit in the trash, you'd probably be able to get $400 or so from eBay if you sell it for parts or repair...
    That would help fund a new computer/iPad

10. Just1nCase thread starter macrumors member

Good idea, I keep that in mind. :)