macbook pro graphics problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phr0z3n, Jul 6, 2011.

1. phr0z3n macrumors newbie

phr0z3n

I posted in here awhile ago about how sometimes my computer would just randomly lock up and the screen would become all.. pixelated or whatever.. this time I was able to get a screenshot of it before it locked up.. this can also happen when I'm not playing flash video, so I don't assume it's flash locking up my macbook pro.. again I know this is a repost, but with a picture to go along with it, maybe you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

http://phr0z3n.ewnix.net/var/albums/Mac-OS-X-screenies/Screen%20shot%202011-07-06%20at%209.07.53%20PM.png?m=1310004547

2. DuPPs macrumors newbie

Which macbook pro do you have?

Looks like it could possibly be graphics memory is faulty if the dots appear randomly.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

have to agree with DuPPs

ur GPU is prob a bad unit. u definitely need to contact apple. they will prob replace ur mobo.

and yea... what mbp do you have?

4. phr0z3n thread starter macrumors newbie

phr0z3n

2011 MacBook pro base 15 inch.

I thought maybe it was a software issue, or was just hoping it was.. because I can never reproduce the problem.. it just happens randomly.. sometimes twice a day.. sometimes once every 3 days or so. I tried to reinstall and everything, but to no avail.

5. DuPPs macrumors newbie

as its a 2011 its going to be under warranty so just take it to an apple store get them to sort it out. No point you pulling your hair out trying to fix it if the unit you have is faulty and covered under warranty, let the genius's do the hair pulling for you!

6. macDelirium macrumors member

Here's the thing Mr Frozen, I think more information is needed for anyone to help you. Is your activity monitor showing any processes using a lot of cpu cycles?

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

okay u need to contact apple now...

8. phr0z3n thread starter macrumors newbie

phr0z3n

nope :/.

by the way my nearest apple store is 2 hours away :/. I take it if the GPU is the problem.. then the whole laptop has to be replaced right?

9. phr0z3n thread starter macrumors newbie

phr0z3n

Just to let you guys know... I took my macbook pro in, and they switched out logic boards.. hopefully that fixes my problem.