MacBook pro hacked - do not roll your eyes. It's true.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by larri, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larri Guest

Apple "genius" advised I zero it out, which I did on both the Macintosh HD volume as well as the internal HDD. Since then, not one single apple tech rep nor local mac expert nor retail store rep an answer this: why, after zero out, 7 pass, are there still 3 folders and 2 files occupying over 221 MB on my hard drive?? Help!! No one has been able to answer this thus far.

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Are you erasing your hard drive or just the singular partition?

Not to mention, can you take a screenshot? What are the file names? Folder names? Makes us feel better.

EDIT -
    Derp on my part. That's probably it.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Uhh... I wouldn't say "hacked" if there were a few folders on your zeroed HD....

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

:rolleyes:

'Cos being hacked is the most logical leap in reasoning when you see something you're not familiar with and can't explain...

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 Its either "hacked" or a "virus". Thanks Hollywood. I see it all the time at work. People put tickets in "theres a hacker in my computer!" (No, thats IT trying to remote assist you...)

7. couto27 macrumors 6502

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

9. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah, that's what I would do. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's the partition table.

Also, how are you viewing the HD if you don't have Mac OS X installed?

10. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

those folders and files got a name?

11. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I can't tell you why there is still data there. If I were you, I would remove the partition and format the drive in another filesystem. For example set up a FAT partition and then format. Then convert back to HFS. I don't think any data could be operational after that.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You need to actually delete the partition, then create two partitions, then delete them, and go back to the single partition. There are always files on the hard drive after formatting, although they are usually in the non-mountable partition with drivers and the partition map.

TEG

13. larri thread starter Guest

I can't give you a screen shot. Still stuck in disk utility and not willing to reinstall my os until I know for sure the hackers are gone. Ask me specifically where to go, in order to answer these questions. All I know is that there is WAY too much activity in system profiler etc for a zeroed out, 7 pass computer. Apple has different answers, depending on what person answers the call.

I don't care what they say. And they don't even know what to say! This is abnormal and questionable.

14. larri thread starter Guest

I am looking for serious advice here. I talked to a local expert tonight and he said that I should have no files. Period. Yet, I have a lot of network activity and a lot of system profiler files dating back to June of last year. On a zeroed-out, 7-pass system.

Save your emoticons. It's offensive, one. And incredibly discrediting for you, two. Again, I am looking for serious assistance.

15. ammusk macrumors regular

If Apple can't help you, I doubt if any of us can.

16. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You've not been hacked. It's the partition table. That's all. I think we might be a little paranoid.

17. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

i've had weird phantom data issues on a flash drive. there was some 5GB taken up on a zeroed out 16GB flash drive. Couldn't explain it for the life of me. I tried formatting it as a master boot record instead of a guid partition table and that fixed it and the data was gone. the funny thing is, I reformatted again as a guid partition table and the 5GB came back...I have no idea. So I just ignored it. I eventually filled it up to the 16GB capacity and that solved the issue completely.

Could this have something to do with a pseudo "trim" command (or lack thereof) where there's erased data on the flash, but it's not actually cleared until written over? Just a thought.

18. larri thread starter Guest

@chrono1081 I have never been on an open network nor have I ever set up remote desktop. So IT helping me is impossible. Give me a break. I am not some mac neophyte, setting myself up for your ridicule.

19. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

What he said ^^^^. How are you viewing the files/folders?

What do you mean by that? Your cable modem light flashes a lot? That's normal.

20. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

lol a hacker on a mac.....got lots to learn buddy!

how did he get into your system without you being alerted that something was being installed?

21. larri thread starter Guest

@kenbrinkman Thank you for your thorough response. I don't have a flash drive(?), but pardon my ignorance if that is a term for something on my internal hdd. Which, I don't think it is. As far as the commentor that if apple can't help, then none of you can?? Oh, please. If Apple support were worth their weight in gold, none of us would be here.

22. kenbrinkman macrumors regular

kenbrinkman

I'm pretty confident there's no hacking/viruses here. It's the guid partition table. If you're still in the process of troubleshooting, reformat as a MBR or Apple Partition Map and see if the data still exists.

23. larri thread starter Guest

And, for what it's worth, this site has solved any dilemma I've had in the past. You're all very useful and very in-tune. This is the first time I could not find a relevant post, hence it being the first time I have started a thread. I trust you on this forum, so I hope someone can help me.

And thanks in advance.

24. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Okay, if you want to be serious, get down to it then.

Hire an international expert. Anybody who has recovered hard drives. Anybody who actually has experience.

Now, they'll tell you that for a disk to be readable, it has to be formatted. Just having a piece of metal is worthless. To format the drive, files have to be written.
    If you're viewing the files, you should know the names of them. Tell us a few names.

Next, if you really want a solution, just go buy yourself a new hard drive. How much is that?

Also, you can just turn off Airport. Unless if the hackers turn it back on.
    Then you can just unplug your modem.
    If the hackers turn your modem on, you have a serious problem. That's when you call 911.

Just my few thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.