Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
computer neophyte, i was hacked violently in the end of march. my FB had photos on my timeline, photos placed on pro message, gmail missing and iPhone texts stolen. i could go on......

she's back again. was working with a data retrieval who say wipe it clean. my console is running at 4,000- viruses abound. should i wipe my iPhone along with the macbook?

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
elaboration on hacking

this round, the keychain access is sunning at full speed w/ an old email address. there were personal files downloaded on utilities. my personal information has been exposed- old banking docs, etc. one area says my apple id was used 4 times in 24 hours. please help......

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wipe your Macbook and start anew. Unless you have very weak or easily guessable passwords, the likelihood of your Macbook being hacked is incredibility small. Oh, and change your passwords. Make them all very long, hard, and unguessable.

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
thanks for your support and advice

this was scary. an old acquaintance w/ an axe to grind and high computer skill in the UK. if you can recommend high security protection i can purchase, i will appreciate it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Wipe it and start fresh. That's it. Nothing else. But of course, if your passwords aren't changed or are not strong it'll happen again. But the weak point is not your Macbook (once wiped and restored of course).

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
macbook wiped not weak point?

i can't explain irrational behavior. this was pure destruction. no provocation on my part. i do fear it will be repeated. i have some documentation and could send it to her HR which i threatened to do. this is outrageous and unwarranted.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
This thread is like the twilight zone ...

the-twilight-zone-intro-o.gif

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
twilight zone

This thread is like the twilight zone ...

look..... i am an accomplished health professional who uses a laptop for banking and social enjoyment. not everyone possesses vast knowledge about software actions. give me a break, and be glad your computer is healthy.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
look..... i am an accomplished health professional who uses a laptop for banking and social enjoyment. not everyone possesses vast knowledge about software actions. give me a break, and be glad your computer is healthy.

No offense man -- just trying to throw in a little comic relief.

My laptop is about to die any minute now. I'm staring at random characters/gibberish running across the monitor as we speak -- then again, I have a 9 year old Mac. Get my new one tomorrow :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
You got the answers you need to solve further intrusion in your private life via computer means.
Wipe the Mac doing a Clean Install of your OS, change every password you own to a strong one using as many characters as you can remember, I have passwords ranging from 13 to 37 characters, I never had a breach of any of them, but I probably am not as interesting anyway (though someone vowed to hack my account some weeks ago and still has not managed it (due to a 25 characters password I suppose).

maureenm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
thanks guys. i'm here to learn.

one more question. during the initial hack in late march my bluetooth handsfree went off, as texts were stolen from my iPhone. i have all my FB friend e-mails on it. don't want to compromise them, and all know what happened. she "neatened up" my photos in iPhoto and they are there, too.

your opinion? thanks!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Your iPhone syncs with your computer (saving restore data and pulling photos/music from your Mac), so the computer attack probably manipulated data (photos) that in turn was sent to the iPhone. As long as your iTunes/iPhone preferences are set for only sync to the phone, nothing will leak back into the Mac.

If you want to feel like you have done everything you can do, after you clear out your Mac, reset your phone to factory conditions. That will probably wipe everything off.... phone numbers, contacts..

Now there may be plenty of stuff out there in the internet (your facebook pages, emails stored on servers, web pages, iMessages, online backups) that you may want to try to clean up.. but that's going to be tuff. The good news as as long as you are now practice safe computing, nothing out will contaminate your MAC or iPhone.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
You got the answers you need to solve further intrusion in your private life via computer means.
Wipe the Mac doing a Clean Install of your OS, change every password you own to a strong one using as many characters as you can remember, I have passwords ranging from 13 to 37 characters, I never had a breach of any of them, but I probably am not as interesting anyway (though someone vowed to hack my account some weeks ago and still has not managed it (due to a 25 characters password I suppose).

I see what you did there ;) 1337 :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.