Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nethus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
Hi there,

I have a early 2011 13" macbook pro i5/4GB/SSD and am experiencing this constant hanging/freezing/beachball issue occurring multiple times a day whilst running anything from just firefox/chrome (most frequently, but this is also the most frequently used application) to heavier applications to installing applications from DVD & running VLC.

The only pre-occurrence noticed was whilst running Chrome - all the windows usually load up the "aw snap" page. Otherwise the mac begins to beachball, the macbook heats up and fans go full throttle for a bit, then it comes back to temperature and continues to do nothing at all until you reboot it.

I have run disk utility multiple times - the first time it found something, every time since nothing. Memtest shows up fine. Apple hardware test shows up fine. As a last resort I have attempted a 'windows' solution by doing a clean install which doesnt seem to have helped either!

Would appreciate any suggestions

Edit: Resolved by having the SSD replaced.

Last edited:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Take a look in the Activity Monitor and the Console, to see what is actually happening.
Any errors?

What OS are you running?

Maybe it is time to get more RAM?

Update Adobe Flash to the latest version.

Nethus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
I can't exactly run/check activity monitor during a crash, otherwise everything appears normal. There are no system diagnostic reports in console either. There is one from VLC from when the latest crash occurred but this is definitely not VLC as its almost never happens with VLC.

Running the latest version of Lion.

I don't see how I'd need more RAM when doing things as simplistic as web-browsing with just a couple tabs will crash it. i.e. right now over half the RAM is inactive.

I've tried having Flash both completely updated and completely removed from the system

Here's VLC's diagnostic report from console attached if you want it

Attachments

• vlc report.txt
    54.8 KB · Views: 110

Nethus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
Bump.

Still having this issue, happened twice 15minutes apart today both whilst trying to copy files from another computer onto this one over a network.:confused:

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
IF your still having problems and the above haven't helped then it maybe time to take a ride to the apple store. You should still be covered under applecare let them take a look at it and figure it out. Its best to do it sooner rather than later so your applecare doesn't run and then you find out its a major problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.