Macbook Pro hard case -- do you use one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Colin0317, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Colin0317 macrumors member

I recently got a Macbook Pro Retina and would like to keep it scratch free. I saw some hard plastic cases on Amazon for about $20 and was wondering if they are worth it.

I'm also thinking about getting a keyboard cover as I heard the Macbook keyboards tend to get that shiny effect on the keys within no time.

2. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

Thin polycarbonate cases are ok but thicker rubber based cases can trap heat. Based on personal experience avoid Speck brand. I like Power Support.

Keyboard covers need to be removed if you plan to close and transport the machine. They can permanently mark the AR coating on the screen.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I don't like the look of such cases. Unless everything is perfectly clean when installed, minute dirt particles under the over can scratch the aluminum. Just use an appropriate backpack or bag to transport and don't use it where it gets scratched. My MBP is now 3 years old and the only scratch is a dent in the speaker cover where my wife dropped something on it. None of the case would have helped in that situation. Enjoy the clean design and don't muck it up with an ugly case.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I use a sleeve for transport but when I take it out I use it naked.. nothing comes in contact with the laptop so I don't see the need for a case?

5. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

If you use your device on an airplane or in the field you'll appreciate the usefulness of a thin well made case.

6. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Speck's newer cases have little round rubber "pieces" on the inside of the case to keep a tiny bit of space between the case and your macbook. I have the clear blue version and it both looks nice and covers the whole macbook, aside from the ports. They also come with a 1 year warranty so that's another benefit.

The downside is the cost. I think they are $49 full price. I got mine with a 20% discount though. I wouldn't cheap out on protecting an almost $2000 machine. Another downside is removing the case is a b#$@&. :rolleyes: I didn't notice any scratches though from the tabs that hold it in place.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

No, cases look like poop and honestly, my computer only travels in a padded backpack so they are useless to me.

Keyboard covers ruin the keyboard's feel, and who cares about shiny keys? It's a computer, not a priceless museum piece.

8. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

Yes I use case for protection, and I am currently using speck.

9. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Well said!

10. anarti macrumors regular

I use Speck Satin SeeThru if I move laptop around the house, airports etc etc. My 15inch retina stays at TwelveSounth stand so it doesn't have it.

Todays macbooks scratch very easily so Speck cases are great for protection.

I know it's just a computer, but with scratches, it is a scratched computer:)

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have a MBP (3 years) and have never put a case on it and it still looks like new. The limited times I have taken it out of the home, I have used a Booq travel case.

12. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Moshi case, looks good, keeps scratching the notebook.

Moshi clear keyboard protector, had it on for a short time, noticed daily that the keys outline transferred to the screen, and had to be cleaned, also daily. Took it off and no longer used.