Macbook Pro hard disk issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthew011029, Mar 21, 2014.

1. matthew011029 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I accidentally dropped my Macbook Pro the other day, afterwards Bootcamp was having issues when booting up. After a few failed attempts I removed the Bootcamp partition, then tried to install it again via Bootcamp assistant, however that's when things get frustrating, I am having some freezes when attempting to partition the hard drive, or when the Windows OS was installing.
    But otherwise the computer was running smooth and normal in the OSX partition, so would this be hard disk issue or something else? I have run disk repair and the Apple Hardware Test a few times, and there hadn't been any errors showing up, but I am still having some issues when doing any partitioning. So some suggestions about what issues I may be having would be great.
    Thanks in advance

2. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Sounds like a damaged hard drive to me. You should back up as much of your data as possible and look for a replacement drive.

If that's all the damage you sustained from dropping your MacBook, consider yourself lucky: it could have been much worse.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Drops can damage hardware. If you haven't backed up lately I would do so. Do not overwrite previous backups in case of corruption. You will want something that supports various versions. On the upside, there are worse ways to damage your computer. Unless you're severely strapped for cash a hard drive failure isn't that bad or uncommon. It's also a good time to upgrade to an ssd in case you already wished to do so and are not considering a rmbp in the near future. I only added the rmbp note because they don't use standard 2.5" sata drives, so standard drives couldn't be passed on without the use of a hard drive enclosure.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its too much of a coincidence to think all of sudden your hard drive is incurring problems right after a drop. My recommendation is to back it up if you don't have one and look to replace it.

5. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Do this, for the cost of a 2.5 inch drive it's a "no brainer"
    OR take the opportunity to upgrade to an SSD if funds are available.

The drop has done some damage for sure.

M.